Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

OK so here are my speakers. The subs are in a 2.9^3 sealed box, and are being driven by an Adcom GFA-565 each. I am getting tired of all the gear around, and I want to get some plate amps. I can reach 120db with both subs running with the Adcom's. I don't mind losing a few DB, but I do not want to lose the performance(tight hard hitting controlled bass). I have some credit at PE so I was looking at the 500 watt plate amp.

That was the previous setup with the 12" passives. 4 big amps make a lot of heat and look ghetto to me(Adcom GFA-585, 545, and a pair of 565's) to drive a stereo pair of speakers(active XO's).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mike good to see you around. I was planning on putting an amp in each cabinet. My fear is the Dayton's won't sound as nice as the Adcom's. I did think of getting the 1000w rack mount Dayton and wiring them in series, but then theoretically each woofer would only see 250w or 500w if in series?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Around 450 very clean. The Dayton claims over 500w, but after being in this hobby for a while I have learned that a watt is not a watt;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got a hold of a buddy who used one on an SVS DIY sub, and he was very pleased with it. I don't know if you remember me. I wanted to do a coffee table sub, but this worked out very well. Even with no bass boost the room gain seems to help it dig pretty low. Not as low as when I had a sonosub tuned to 15hz, but I am quite pleased:) BTW the mids are silver flutes, and the tweeters are Vifa DX25's. Great sound speakers for not a lot of money. I am however going to upgrade the tweeters to the Morel ET338's. Those things are worth the extra money:)
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=277-072
Thanks
Ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts