Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Again,
I'm starting to think out my next subwoofer build, using a Mach 5 Xmass 18 driver.
I have one in a large ported box built into my stage (link in my sig), and it rumbles great, and has some nice output.

My goal for this sub is to fill in some of the higher subwoofer spectrum that my big box seems to be lacking, and add some punch to action scenes.

The size of the enclosure will be much more limited than one I have built already, and am thinking of doing a side table type build.

As for amplification, I'm currently using one side of a tapco juice 800 (discontinued pro amp), and a behringer ultragain pro Mic 2200 to convert the signal level. One channel on the Behringer isn't working properly, and have a claim in with the shop I got it from, but there's no stock in Canada right now for a replacement.

I'll be able to adjust gain and do some adjustments for the new sub separately, so I don't anticipate too many issues there.

I plan on keeping the enclosure as small as possible, and am kicking around a few design ideas, but haven't really put anything on paper.

Just wondering if anyone has tips for things to keep in mind for designing a sealed box.
this will turn into a build thread as I get further with planning and start making a mess.

thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
So are you wanting to use this 18 for bass and midbass or ....I am confused?

I know for me I wanted more punch in my sound system so I upgraded my mains. They now have plenty of bass down to 45hz. My subs will be fine for anything from 70hz and down. So I was thinking you maybe wanting more 60-200hz......Yes or are you wanting something else all together?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still for bass. My mains can go to ~50 hz pretty well.

To be a bit more accurate, maybe I'm more looking for a different type of bass feel if that makes sense. I just figured it's not going to to as deep as the big box.
Also for curiosity sake, same driver, different enclosures, how different it will be.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you modeled what you have to compare the difference for a sealed sub?

Did some, but I never seem to get much results.
Dropped off at about 38 hz (-3 db) in an 85 liter box (3 cubic feet).

current box goes down to ~21 hz pretty well (so says the model).

still haven't actually measured anything in-room. I should probably do that and do any room adjustments I can before adding another sub.... but then again.... more subs is more subs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with 3 cu ft as that was what was suggested on the MFG website, but am open to other suggestions.

I'm thinking of putting it beside the couch on the outer wall as a bit of a side table. (needs a measurement to be 24" or less to fit there)

Or

I can try making it up to 31" wide and putting it in the converted closet turned rack area, but I'm not sure of how that would affect the sound. (see below for pictures of the space).

and for an idea on the current room layout.

·
Registered
683 Posts
What's the concern with putting it in the closet/rack room? How would that affect the sound? Would there be a door to the rack room, or is it now exclusively a rack open to the main room?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts