Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

After a couple of years I have decided to build a sealed box for my Mach 5 18" sub and O-Audio 500 watt amp to go into.

I tried for a few weeks sealing my current box and I liked the sound better, dosen't dig as deep or have the SPL the ported box does but it sounds better for music so I have decided to build a sealed box.

Also as my family grow older we don't seemed to watch as many movies and I use headphones mainly due to shift work and I really wanted a better musical sub with tighter bass.

Below is the current sub which I have been more than happy with for a couple of years now.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...2180-mach-5-18-180lt-500watts-tuned-20hz.html

The Box will be a 24" cube (145 lts) with a triple front, lots of bracing and a 2 pac gloss finish.

Pics will start soon as I have been working on it today and most of the box is cut and half together, now working on the bracing.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Sounds interesting. I am assuming this will be the IXL 18?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Few Pics.

Have started a double front on the Sub Box as the Mach 5 18" sub has a very large rubber surround which I found when building the last box, so this time I have rebated further to help make the front cover a little easier to make when it comes time, this box is having a triple front baffle to ensure ample room for the cover.

I still have the baffle for the sub to install in the box and the bracing which i'm leaving till all the external is complete.

Had a play with my plung router for the first time and made a custom circle jig, cutting the outer circle which turned out great.

Funny thing was I though this box was a lot smaller than my current one before I started putting it together and seems the WAF is fading away quickly each time she see's it. :T

Dave.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Had a bit more time tonight, got the amp cut out, tested the Front panel to ensure the Sub fit's in the rebate and cut the third piece of the front baffle for the sub to mount too.

Used a home made compass to draw the sub cut out which worked well.

I think by Monday I will be having a test listen for sure.

Still need to work out the bracing but will do this when the Sub and Amp are mounted into the box as I still haven't glued the front, rear and top panel's in to ensure everything is as it should be before I glue.

Art work on the panels is my 2 wonderful daughters aged 5 and 10 years trying to help me build the box.

Dave.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Started putting it all together, went with a window pane and some 1"x 4"front to rear bracing. There will also be 4 more that will go to the back of the box.

Test fitted the amp and sub and i'm ready to rock.

Will be having a listen by tonight for sure.

Dave.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Nice looking sturdy build so far.:T

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More progress pics, might have to leave it till tomorrow for the listen as it's getting late.

Should be good.

Thanks chrapladm for your comment, still wondering if that is enough bracing or not. Box seems very strong but hard to tell until I crank it up.

Dave.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Mike, makes me feel better as it's all glued and screwed now so there's no turning back.

Just fitting the Sub now.

Picture do no justice to the actual size of these 18" subs.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So... how did it sound? What's your impression of this sealed enclosure vs. the previous ported?
About 2 months ago I started pulling about my stereo. First replaced all the drivers in my 3 way Fronts with Vifa 6.5" mid woofers(3) and tweeter(1) and the differnce was night and day in sound quality.

Sound still wasn't perfect so I upgraded my 10 year old Pioneer to a new Onkyo 7.1, big improvement again but still was missing some hard hitting mid bass so the Sub upgrade begun.

First impression was WOW

I much prefer the sound of the sub sealed v's ported. Still digs deep and has just as much SPL but it has alot more mid bass and tight hit your chest feel.

Played Iron Man 2 end scene and it's the best i've heard the stereo sound.

I'm still yet to run Calibration on my onkyo since setting up the sub, once I do this I think it will be really great sounding sub.

Most definately a worth while exercise.

For something a bit different i'm going to go with a 2 pac gloss off white for the finish and it will be a corner table with a funky lamp.

Movies have always sounded great, this was more to improve the sound of music playback.

Dave.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Owen. I do think it helps greatly that my media room is so small being around 4.2m x 4.2m.

In a much larger room I think ported would be the only way to go with a single 18" with only 500 watts.

Still haven't had a chance to start the finish but still enjoying the sound with the unfinished box.

Dave.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts