Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
357 Posts
Re: Sealed 3.5ft^3 Tumult Project

After hearing my sealed sub go with sealed enclosure for sure.

The fact that you can raise the Q if you wanted to tighten and boost the 35-70Hz range for music. I ended with a Q around .78-.79 and the result is stunning for guitar and percusion work. I get reasonable SPL to 15Hz so Its all gravy.

~Bob

T

·
0 Posts

khellandros66 said:
After hearing my sealed sub go with sealed enclosure for sure.

The fact that you can raise the Q if you wanted to tighten and boost the 35-70Hz range for music.
The lower the 'Q', the more the output is damped by the alignment = tight.

The higher the 'Q', the lower the amount of damping from the alignment = less tight

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Jim...LOL. Hey you what they say about guys with big feet?....they wear big socks :neener:

I plan on having my Q nice and LOW for an almost critically (high) damped allignment.I still haven't decided what to do as far as amps. This thing is a beast....I couldn't have imagined it to be so heavy. It is roughly 3 times the weight of that Rythmik driver. The suspension is incredibly stiffer on the Tumult as well.

khellandros66, I'd almost feel comfortable saying your final Q of .78-.79 doesn't yield the flattest response and is a little underdamped for my liking. My sealed Rythmik, without interaction from EQ/Servo, has a natural Qtc lower than .707 (.707 yields the flattest response) which is possibly why its so tight. The Tumult should be even tighter assuming its T/S parameters are close to spec which may be a mystery for a while as I don't plan on buying the Dayton woofer tester any time soon...

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Well I honestly thought steve was sending me a heavy tan colored box...boy was I wrong! Nothing special but definitely exponentially better than a tan MDF box.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

FlashJim said:
Oh you just SUCK! All you have to do is drop it in and go. Very cool!

Well, fire that thing up and tell us how it is. Do you have an amp to run it until you get the 2500?
Nope...no amp till the 2500. Maybe i'll unhook the Rythmik just to play around :devil:

·
Banned
357 Posts

ThomasW said:
The lower the 'Q', the more the output is damped by the alignment = tight.

The higher the 'Q', the lower the amount of damping from the alignment = less tight
Thomas, the new enclosure (I built) has an internal volume of around 33 liters (12.5in x 13.25in x 13.25in). The only dampening I used was a 12.5in x 24in long sheet wrapped around the crossbrace. I don't know the exact weight of the batting in there. IMO the bass is very clean and tight, more so then most of commercially built sealed subs I have heared.

BTW: I am using the following

Dayton RSS315-HF
PE 500w RMS Bash

~Bob

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

khellandros66 said:
Thomas, the new enclosure (I built) has an internal volume of around 33 liters (12.5in x 13.25in x 13.25in). The only dampening I used was a 12.5in x 24in long sheet wrapped around the crossbrace. I don't know the exact weight of the batting in there. IMO the bass is very clean and tight, more so then most of commercially built sealed subs I have heared.

BTW: I am using the following

Dayton RSS315-HF
PE 500w RMS Bash

~Bob
Nice setup there. If i were looking for something smaller for music only use i'd go that route.

Box should be arriving soon! ;)

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

I wish! Plus I need an amp lol..

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Box arrives on August 15th. Still wont have the amp until late august. I'll take a few sweeps once everything arrives. ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts

Well I honestly thought steve was sending me a heavy tan colored box...boy was I wrong! Nothing special but definitely exponentially better than a tan MDF box.
that's a NICE lookin' box there fella...:jiggy:

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Hahah, thanks Martin. and welcome to the shack ;)

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

Still need an amp. But I currently have it hooked up to my receiver's center channel and it sounds tight as **** :R Not much spl but what could I expect without proper amplification?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts

Is that a SEGA Genesis cartridge box I see on top of your television? Keeping it old school.....I like to do the same :D Every now and then I get a hankering for some MKIII on Genesis or Mario Brothers III on NES.......or when I'm feeling really spunky, Ms. Pac Man on Atari 7800.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

The Ep1500 is on it's way! :D

Yeah thats my latest Sega Genesis game Steve, Streets of Rage III. Won it on ebay a few weeks ago :R I play sega all the time...especially lately since my PS2 memory card has been at a friend's house since late july...No more Fight Night Round 3 until I get that memory card back, hehe. Atari was before my time...although I did have one passed down to me w/ space invaders lol

21 - 40 of 65 Posts