Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Re: Sealed 3.5ft^3 Tumult Project

We should start a game thread. I have two PS2s, two Xbox, and three GBA SPs. I'm not much of a gamer, but I love the hardware. :D

The consoles are modded.

I want an Xbox 360 at some point.
I want an Xbox 360 as well...Too many speaker projects to afford it though :T After I blow up the Tumult, next on the list is a Tc-2000 or Tc-3000...hehehe

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

Meh, I don't know about the TC-2000s or 3000s now that Adire's new specs are up. The Brahma 15" d2 boasts a nice boost in Bl, lower Qts, and much lower inductance compared to last generation...Looks Very good in a box 110 liters in volume :) Not much pricier than the Tc-2000 either which doesn't have a form of linear topology in it's motor (still a great motor though, same as the one found in the KILLER SS rl-p 15 drivers :D)

On a good note, I got around to setting up REW with my new X-Fi yesterday. Things look much much flatter than before. I wonder if my soundcard needs some type of calibration file?

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

Soon to be mating with the Tumult is an Avalanche 15 currently heading my way. I'll also have a 3.4ft^3 box to put it in by early/mid september. This setup co-located should be good for about 110db @ 20hz (anechoic, no Eq) with only 450watts feeding each driver :devil: I wouldn't need much more than that.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Lol.
Hey, LLT is always an option (when I move out of my house) :devil: Still in college and living at home...My mom doesn't know I have another enclosure, and driver on the way...she only knows about the amp. When she finds out about this stuff Im sure she'll kick me out for good :T This is only sealed enclosures too...Imagine what an LLT would do..

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Amp arrived! But...it doesn't seem to be getting enough of a signal to get any decent output, even bridged... Wonder what Im doing wrong? This is my first pro-amp. I've boosted the LFE channel to +10 db and still am barely receiving enough of a signal to move the driver. Receiver is an HK AVR 235. Help me please!

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

The amp is a Behringer Ep 1500.
Had it hooked up the center channel pre-out instead of the LFE pre-out, DUH. This sub is rediculously badass. Can't wait to get some measurements for you guys. They'll be comming soon. I've never heard this much bass in my life...WOTW clips the amp, well before the Tumult even reaches max excursion... Music sounds tight and crisp with less "dryness" than the Rythmik, and obviously lots more output due to a larger Vd and more ampage... Very impressive sub.

Final design ended up being 3.9ft^3, with some internal stuffing. Thanks to a low Q allignment the transient response is incredible.

Edit: No smoothing, no EQ measured from listening position far from max SPL.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Avalanche 15 same enclosure/noeq/listening position far from max spl. Room sealed.

Looks just like the Tumult but has a different undescribable tonal quality.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Avalanche 15 same enclosure/noeq/listening position far from max spl. Room sealed.

Looks just like the Tumult but has a different undescribable tonal quality.
funny how to alike FR sound complete different:scratchchin: ...is this an xbl^2 avalanche? How does it sound in comparison to the Tumult?

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

Yeah its the XBL^2 Avalanche 15, the one on clearence a little over a year ago.

Its more sensitive than the Tumult, so maybe thats why initially I mentioned a different tonal quality...Now that things are level matched (had to drop the lfe channel down a few db's) things sound nearly identical. The Le is a bit higher than the Tumult IIRC, so maybe this accounts for any tonal differences?

The Avalanche sounds every bit as tight/clear/ articulate as the Tumult from my mini-session with it earlier...May be a tad bit tighter though. Unibox says the Avalanche will drop the Qtc from .6 to around .55...Definitely noticing a slight punch advantage. I'll have much more to say tomorrow...

Hopefully someone still has an enclosure laying around so I can put both drivers in their own enclosure and run each from a single channel off of the Ep1500 for a 5-6db boost accross the board :devil: The two drivers sound amazingly close to eachother...While I wouldn't use them both in the same enclosure I bet things are okay in seperate boxes.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

I decided to go back and take the measurements at a higher volume setting. It was suprising to see how much volume effects the measured FR.

The first graph is a close-mic test of the Ava15

The second graph is an in-room measurement from listening position.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Wow Rob!

That is one **** of a flat in-room FR w/o EQ. :raped:

...or is that with EQ, which would make more sense.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

Hey Will,
Yeah thats without Eq. It certainly sounds flat in the musical range by subjective listening. The sound.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Impressive. You really do have some insane-room gain going on. How do movies sound?

·
Registered
999 Posts

I realize I sound like a wet blanket, but the close mic response is nearly dead flat to 13-14hz.....that's just not possible :nerd:
Rob,
I think that Steve brings up a good point. Doesn't it model in WinISD or UniBox with a standard rolloff? I would expect a close mike (< 0.5") to measure similar to the model.

Bob

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

No, you guys are definitely on to something...I don't deny that. It hardly looks flat all the way to 13-14hz IMO though (close mic).This is exactly why I made a thread titled "accuracy of spl meter measurements" I too am in doubt of what I am seeing. :eek: I'll be buying new batteries for the SPL meter today, its a little before the red line as of yesterday and re-mounting the Tumult to take some measurements with that driver. Oh and the close mic tests were taken 2" from the driver cone. The sub does sound amazing though, as is.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts