Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, so i'm into my second diy sub adventure and needed a few recommendations.

just for a little insight on my first sub, it was a sealed Fi Q18 for HT duty. a few mis-calcs and cutting issues ended with a smaller than desired box (137L vs 160L), but the remodel will be corrected.

now my second design, shown below, will be for a smaller game-room setup and will be around 3.1cf, bracing, amp (o audio 500w) and drivers (??) taken into account. i'm pretty much at a standstill on which drivers i want/need. i was interested in the dayton 315ho-44 for a number of reasons.

1. it will allow me to wire it for a 4ohm load as opposed to the svc version, which will not.
2. it is a sealed friendly driver due to the thicker cone and copper coil.
3. i wanted a driver with an aluminum cone for something a bit different.

now after much research, it seems a lot of people prefer the hf model and feel the ho is too much of a compromise on the hf's great reputation and doesn't really perform all that well in comparison. it seems ok to from the modeling so far. now i can go a bit larger to consider the hf version and its available as 8ohm which would allow me to wire both together for a 4ohm load. not sure if the 4 vs 8 would have different performance with the drivers themselves so i wanted to get a few recommendations from others directly, with this design in mind.

another driver i had in mind was the ssa d-con which showed better performance over both dayton models according to winisd. i was interested in ae but it may be a while before they are released and may be over-priced/over-budget.

i want to keep it under 150 per driver and the daytons i could get for about 130 ea. shipped.

Thank in advance!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would get the hf but there is no dvc version of that model. the ho shouldnt be too much different in output with 3cf of space. my main concern is quite a few people say the ho is bad but no one, at least from my reading, ever really gives a reason.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
A recent thread on here compared the HO and HF to some length: seemed like there wasn't much difference as I recall, but you might take a look. You will simply have considerably more available power with a 4Ω load, so unless your amp criteria is flexible the HO will be the better fit. That price is really good for a nice 15" driver shipped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts