Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bro-in-law has a box with 2 10" Dayton DVC subs (SD270-88 23 bucks each). The box is 3.2^3 ft, both drivers are mounted on the front baffle. The space inside the box is not seperated for each driver, just one big cavity. The sub is powered by the PE SA240 240 watt plate amp.

He can pick up a Dayton RSS315HF 12" sub for about 100 bucks and is thinking about making his 3.2^3 ft. box into a ported box for the 12" sub by adding a new front baffle. The port would be 4" x 24" long and he would use two of them. There would have to be an elbow in each port.

Running some numbers in WinISD Pro the box seems to be ok. The slightly smaller than ideal size makes the roll off pretty gradual starting at about 40 hz and ending up with the -3 db at 21 hz.

All this rambling brings me to my question. Does anyone have another recommendation for a $100 driver that would perform better given the box size and amplifier restraints? This will be a very budget limited project. One more thing to add is that the baffle is not wide enough to accomodate a 15" driver, 12" is the max.

Another question is that I've never really used WinISD Pro and I would appreciate someone confirming my results.

Thank you in advance.

A

·
0 Posts
While I haven't got time to model your project right now, i would say that if you are constrained by the 240 amp, ported is probably your best bet. Sealed takes quite a bit of power and then has the need for external signal processing (Bassis, BFD, eD) to match the house curve (in cars sealed boxes seem to work themselves out due to cabon gain but in an open space of a house you will fall short down low).

Why not port the box as is with the dual tens? Two tens have more sd than a single 12 (~157 sq in versus 114) so unless that 12 is packing some serious xmax it's not necessarily an upgrade, not to mention the free decibel gain by using two drivers.

Also using two ports makes the port longer than using a single port. There is no real need for a single 12 to have multiple ports IMO.

Try modeling the 10s in that box with a port and you will probably have less work and very similar, if not better results. (depends on how well those tens work in a ported cab, WinISD and Speaker workshop should tell you which configuration they are better suited for, or if they land somewhere in the middle...)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He ended up replacing one of the drivers with the matching Dayton passive radiator. From my calculations, with the passive weighted to 100 grams (stock weight) the F3 of the system is 25 Hz.

It plays a little boomy and I'm not sure if that's room placement or not, I'm not sure how many options he has for that but it is definitely lower than his sealed configuration.

Question of the day is we want to put in a sub sonic filter to protect the driver from bottoming, which it has already. What frequency do you go for with the above mentioned system and how steep of a roll off do you use to protect the driver???

I'm off to research sub sonic filters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts