Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Thanks for the positive comments!

I could use a little help trying to figure out the best way to integrate the subs.
The others are an LMS 5400 with two 18" passive radiators using a velodyne SMS-1 for equalization, and my Fathom F113 with it's built-in system.

My processor is a Marantz AVR 8801 with Audyssey XT32.

I assume that I should run equalization on each sub individually, then run audyssey for all of the speakers.

Is that right?

Thanks, Peter

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm excited to see how it measures compared with my Fathom 113.
congrats on the nice cabinet build. how does the sealed 13W7 fair with the F113?

i also have a 12W7 and wanted to build a poor man's F112. but, i am short in amp power using an inuke 3000. the inuke can only get to 850 watts in 3 ohms load assuming power is linear in reference to their 2 and 4 ohm rating.

that being said, i changed my plan and will put the W7 in a 4.5 cuft (net) ported cab tuned to 21hz replacing the infinity kappa 12dvq sub (photo below). with 850 watts of power, hope it can go hand in hand with my SVS PB13U.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
It seems to be able to keep up pretty well with the F113. I was doing this one partly to check how things worked with the smaller volume box, and it seems if it were any larger it would be too big as Morca had said.

I'm going to go ahead and build another one of these and a third with two 12W7s ( Like the F212)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nice to hear the DIY design work,s good.
Indeed JL sub,s are designed for a litlle box.

If i read well,the DIY and the real F113 are close in output and SQ.
That,s nice :)

You gonna build more JL sub,s........cool !!! :hsd:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm looking to build a box for a JL 12W7-3 (original series). I wanted to thank everyone here for the great advice I've read so far. Based on Morca's advice, it looks like I should follow the original JL specs. They suggest 1.375 cubes/38.94 L net. Can anyone confirm if this is accurate? Thanks again!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I would go for something close to Morca's specs. You can get a lot out of these W7 drivers with power and equalization. I would say my 13W7. Could have been in an even smaller box; it was flat to 10hz even before the minidsp. I'm currently building a dual 12W7 similar to the Fathom f212. I'm going with about 2.8 cu ft, just haven't had time to post pics

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here are some pics:
i have clearly made wrong decisions in my life. my garage looks nothing like this. very nice build peter.

dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very nice. If that is how you build a quick proof-of-concept box I'd love to see how you go all-out on a build.

Of course you have 1" thick MDF laying around, it's obvious you're over-doing things.

I'm also envious of what appears to be a Powermatic in your garage/shop, let alone the cars that seem to be there too! :)

-Heath

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Registered
248 Posts
nice work on the TC Box!!
Looking forward to see your next build whit 2 12W7 .

How many sub,s do you own........:hsd:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts