Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really looking to build a Mal-X in the sealed enclosure designed by Dan. My room is 13x14 and I want to have useable output of 15Hz an up at around 110dB. I currently have a new TC2k in a box that I still have never used and I was originally going to build a LLT but since then I bought a house and the theater room has gotten much smaller. I still want to achieve similiar performance in a smaller package. Talking with Will it seems that the Mal-X will suit my needs fairly well.

Will should be taking some measurements of his sub for us and posting them soon. I guess the last piece of the puzzle I'm really considering is EQ. I really want to get it as flat in room before EQ, but I think it will still need some boost on the lower end to even things out. Can you guys recommend something for me? I've looked at the DEQ2496 and Bassis but I'm unsure which would suit my needs best.

Nate

Kevin,

I would be interested in buying a Mal-X on ebay to get on that live deal if possible.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
There are a lot of solutions out there. The Room EQ Wizard & BFD guide are a great resource for equalization. A large diameter driver in a small box is always going to need some kind of EQ to reach deep. The box sets the efficiency down low so small box = low efficiency at low frequency. Also, there is a direct relationship between the cone size, box size and bandwidth. For a given bandwidth, you need to scale the box size in a linear fashion with cone size to maintain the same bandwidth. There is no reason that you cannot do it with the PEQ though. I wouldn't get dogmatic about using equalization. There is nothing wrong with using it in moderation. You don't need to design a special Linkwitz Transform because you have a tool with plenty of capability in the Behringer.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
www.diycable.com

·
Registered
193 Posts
Because you lose (db) output down low in A small sealed box could'nt you use dual Passives like your PR18's with the Maelstrom-x and double the output down low when using A small box say 8-10cf ??...

Cheers....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Sure... I wouldn't call 8-10 cubic feet small but I guess that depends on your perspective. :)

The PRs work almost like a port. You gain extra output centered around their tuning frequency. The advantages over a port are that you don't get chuffing and noise issues, they take less cabinet volume, and you can keep the box size smaller.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
www.diycable.com

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did look to using some PRs but they still didn't give me everything I wanted. Yes they did give me some better lower end output but they still would require some EQ or boost, according to my models so I'd rather just save the money and put that into an EQ of some sort. Also, 8-10 cubic feet isn't really small.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The Maelstrom-X with the Exodus PR-18s doesn't require any EQ. It does require a subsonic filter though.

I'd really plan for room measurement and equalization though. It doesn't make much sense to me to build this kind of system without it. It is sort of like jumping half way out of an airplane. It is a bad idea, you either stay in the plane or jump.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

1 - 6 of 6 Posts