Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my system in a room that measures 5x7 metres and I'm still tossing up what sub design is best and most value for money.

Priority is for music as the floorstanders I want to match with are good music ones, but I'd still like to be able to hit the low 20 Hz level to get that "Wow!" factor when watching home theatre. The floorstanders also roll off at around 45 Hz, so to make it worthwhile, it would need to dig significantly lower than 45 Hz.

I like the idea of a sealed box, because its cheaper, easier to build and more gradual roll off.

I like PR boxes, because I understand that they can hit a lower note than a sealed box for a given size. But the PR adds a lot of cost to the design (in Australia, parts for a Quartet 10 cost $600!, which is almost 2x the N.American price!)

Maximum size I can get away with is roughly 45-50 cm on each side, give or take, but smaller is definitely better.

I was thinking of positioning it roughly in the centre of the 7m wall, but it might end up in a corner.

What do you think is more suited? A sealed box or a PR? Can anything hit the low 20's in a box say 45cm each side?

Thanks for your help!:bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Ya, not sure how you'll get down to 20 without either a low Vas 10" or 12" sub with PRs, or the sealed + EQ route. Both will cost $$, since doing EQ to lift the lows will likely require a bigger amp.

As far as a single sub goes, it's 99% likely to be much better off in a corner. If you had a pair then it'd be more effective putting them in different places.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
LOL, you just happen to choose one of the BEST performing manufacturers out there but yes, a DIYer can come close to duplicating that performance using some of the BETTER 10" drivers ie: CSS model SDX 10, SUNDOWN AUDIO Model SA 10 D2, or JL Audio Model 10W6v 2-D4.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah! If I'm gonna DIY, I'm gonna do something amazing! For all of the hours that it takes, no point skimping a couple of hundred on el cheapo drivers when the effort is the same. :R

thanks for the recommendations on the drivers, the next challenge is to find something that is sold down here.

/edit

Good grief! That JL Audio sells for $849.00 down here!

Does it matter that the JL and the Sundown are car audio subs?

/edit

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Nope. A good sub driver is a good sub driver. Car audio subs get a bad rep due to the thousands upon thousands of the el-cheapo made in China stuff that accounts for the majority of the car audio market. JL Audio makes some of the world's best subs, though they are proud enough to charge you for the pleasure.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
LOL, I didn't say you could duplicate the performance of the SVS unit with cheap stuff! But there ARE other less expensive drivers out there. You'll have to pick and choose according to the availability down under.
How IS Sydney by the way? It's been about 15 years since I was there. I spent some time up in Port MacQuarrie doin some heavy drinking at the flyers club. Also went golfing early mornings and scared a couple of Koala bears with an errant drive.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe $600 for a CSS Quartet 10 kit isnt such a bad deal after all, or perhaps I'll buy one from a shop:sad:

Sydney has been basking in late autumn (sorry... "fall") for weeks now, chilly at night but low 20 centigrade during the day. Makes for a nice walk around the harbour on my lunch break... thinking of all the pro's and con's of subwoofer designs.:spend:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
That's what I remember too, the harbor. Beautiful. I took a bunch of those carferries and had no idea where I was going but it was fun.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm working on building sub #20 something now, and will never build another sealed sub again. Back in the 80's, Audio magazine did an article on subs and a JBL engineer said they could not find anything yet to beat a ported design, and I'm a firm believer after changing over to them.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Maybe $600 for a CSS Quartet 10 kit isnt such a bad deal after all, or perhaps I'll buy one from a shop:sad:

Sydney has been basking in late autumn (sorry... "fall") for weeks now, chilly at night but low 20 centigrade during the day. Makes for a nice walk around the harbour on my lunch break... thinking of all the pro's and con's of subwoofer designs.:spend:
I assume it is $600 because you are in Australia? I just paid $450 CAN including tax & ship. BTW, I also have the TRIO12 with 2 PRs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I assume it is $600 because you are in Australia? I just paid $450 CAN including tax & ship. BTW, I also have the TRIO12 with 2 PRs.
Yeah, the shipping to down here is a killer - especially for individual, heavy, relatively low value items. Things tend to be more expensive anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts