Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my build thread which spawned from the Linkwitz thread.

This box was built out of 3/4" MDF with a double face. It is now being wrapped in 3/4" Baltic Birch and will be trimmed out with Maple so all sides will be double wall with a triple wall front. I am thinking of a rosewood type stain.
Should finish out around 7.6 ft³.

The upper window brace.

All bracing in place.

Laminating 2 faces of 3/4" MDF, I can always use more clamps...

Faces being glued to the box..

Birch face being glued to the front.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another update.
Gluing up the maple strips is slow going, taking my time(don't want to mess up the finish).
While those are in the clamps, I have primed and put the first coat of satin black paint in the recesses for the sub and binding posts. I have also installed the hurricane nuts.
After I get all the strips glued up, I will run the flush panel bit around the box and add a nice roundover.
I still have to finish planing down the hickory to add to the front.
BTW...this box has become rather heavy and the sub still hasn't been installed....

Painted rebate.

I was able to get the same grain pattern on both sides of the sub.

Here is a shot of some of the maple strips ater they were glued in.

Recess for binding posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need some ideas for feet, as this thing will be sitting on a hardwood floor. I am guessing it will weigh in around 250lbs or more. So they will need to be sturdy.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting closer. I finished all the routing tonight. Here are several more pictures. It is really hard to get good pictures of such light wood under florescent lights. They tend to wash out the grain.
The top and bottom face plates(wide boards) are hickory. The side rails between the hickory is wormy maple.
The stuff that looks like glue squeeze-out is actually a stainable wood filler, that will be sanded down flush.
I am ready to start sanding and staining(this may take a while). I have been trying different stains on scrap pieces, and I really haven't found one I like on the birch yet.
I also have the grill pieces glued up and hope to get it covered in the next few nights. I think it looks really cool. I will post pics when it is finished.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got this thing sanded and stained. I just need to add a few more coats of polyurethane and it has turned cold and rainy here, so it's one coat a day for now. I solved the feet problem and bought an Auralex Gramma.
The pictures are still a little washed(flourescent lighting and a flash?):dontknow:

This picture is the closest to the true color of the three pics.

The face frame was stained natural.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Almost there! It has moved from workshop to the house.:unbelievable: This thing is H E A V Y!
Since last update- 6 coats of polyurethane, Dayton Binding Posts installed, grill magnets are installed (covered with black felt trim), and tonight it was stuffed with 4 pounds of Premium Polyester Fiberfill.
Hopefully, I can get the driver installed tomorrow. I would do it tonight but it is bedtime for the little ones, and I would have to fire it up if it were installed...

By the way that is an Auralex Gramma laying next to the box for an idea of the scale of the box.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys.
Actually...I do have pics of the grill.
Just hadn't posted them yet.
BTW...The sub will be front firing, it is just lying on its back until I get the sub mounted and screwed in.
It's hard to tell from the picks, but the grill gently slopes from the top and bottom to the ring.
The flash really makes the ring stand out, it is much more subtle in a normal lit room.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to do both.
But, I have some equipment to buy and research first.
I have the dsp1124 and ep2500(need to install the fan I bought for it).
I am ordering the calibrated Dayton Mic from Cross Spectrum today.
I need to read up to see where to go from here...lol
My big computer has Midi inputs (SB Audigy 2 Pro).
I know I need an SPL Meter, just have to figure out which one.

I have an excellent WAF on the sub......but :spend: is starting to gain some attention...lol

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered a Xenyx 802 for the mic.
My laptop has a line in setting in the control panel, so I will try that first.
I also got the fan mod done tonight.

I like this pic, nothing special, just a look at the guts of an EP2500.

Finished sub sitting in the corner.

This thing has to weigh in over 300lbs. The auralex gramma was under severe strain, so I ended up taking it out from under the sub and placing it under the ep2500 for the time being.:flex:

·
Banned
1,074 Posts

This thing has to weigh in over 300lbs. The auralex gramma was under severe strain, so I ended up taking it out from under the sub and placing it under the ep2500 for the time being.:flex:
BEAUTIFUL!

·
Registered
10 Posts

That looks just like my QSC RMX 2450 amp. IS that what that is??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts