Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've been toying with the idea of building a sealed subwoofer, to pair with a Zaph ZRT kit that I've recently purchased. I've already got several SoundSplinter RL-P15s at my disposal, so I'm gonna use them.

When I look at the SS website, these are recommended (optimally) in a 4.6 cu. foot box. However, when I model them, this is accomplished by assigning a QTC of .500. If I set QTC to .707, I get something more like 1.46 cu. ft - which seems impishly small.

Can someone please talk me through this? According to what little I know about T/S parameters, this sub, with a QTS of .333, is, in theory, better suited for a ported application. (I know that's a guideline, and not an absolute)

This is going to be mostly for general listening. I mean, if I wanted to blow the house down, in the space that I have available, I'd just go get the SVS SB16-Ultra. But I don't. I want something that's enjoyable all the way across the spectrum, but not just an obnoxious noisemaker.

Oh, yeah, and I'll probably end up building 2 of these.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
I'd go for the smaller QTC .707 size of 1.5cuft. You might ask SoundSplinter directly and see what they ahve to say about their recommended box size that is larger with the low QTC.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I certainly wish that I could ask them. Unfortunately, as I recently learned, the owner has passed away, and the webform is broken, so I cannot get ahold of anyone. (plus, every item on their website shows out of stock)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's the tradeoff, in real terms? (to my ears)

Interestingly enough, I was given the suggestion of the 15" Dayton Ultimax (UM15-22) drivers as a like-for-like replacement, and I see that it also wants to be in a box more on the order of 4-ish cu. ft. I'd like to build the smaller box, but with support for the SS apparently gone, I'd like to think ahead, also. The Dayton presents a nice drop-in option, should these go bad.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
The larger box would slightly boost the low range, but would reduce power handling since the larger volume would appear more open to the driver.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like you're telling me that I'll get a good sound out of it, not matter what I do. The tradeoff will be in power handling and EQ setting, only. (if we ignore the frequency response - I'll get what I need in any case)

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Yep, all in all I don't think you can go wrong. If the subs are for a very open room/environment, you'll want to consider adding EQ later if you find yourself missing some of the LF. Linkwitz Transform (LT or low shelf) filter is popular for home theater applications of sealed subs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got EQ, already. I've got a Reckhorn B-1 for high-pass, and a BFD 1124. Should be good to go. I'm not exclusive to HT with these subs. (it will probably be the smallest part, in fact) But I think I'm covered. Unless you can think of anything else that I might need to consider.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts