Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little background.
I am going to be building the Linkwitz Orions.
This is going to be for 50% HT 50% music.
Room size: 13 X 20 cathedral ceilings that range from 8' to 17'. completely open to a kitchen of roughly the same size.

Whatever I build is going to be powered by 2 EP2500s.
I would like to go sealed, as I feel it will better match up with the Orions. Plus I have built 2 ported already and would like to try something new out.
I am looking for extension into the teens.
These will be crossed over to the mains in the 40 hz range

Options:
2 sealed MaelstromX. each powered by an EP2500.
4 sealed ShivaX. each powered by a single channel of an EP2500.

I am trying to model the ShivaX in a 3 cuFT box. I am figuring 850 watts from the EP2500. I am hitting the limits of cone excursion at about 32 hz. I have seen a few builds using this driver and amp combo and I didnt think I would run into cone excursion problems. Plus in order to hit the low teens, I am guessing I will need some sort of EQ or LT circuit which will only worsen the cone excursion issue.

Am I looking at these graphs wrong? Mike, where are you?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
You're asking a lot of the Shiva's by going sealed and wanting extension into the teens. You will definitely need a high pass filter. The best you can do in 3 cu.ft. sealed is 600 watts input power with a HPF at 12 hz. Cone excursion is reached at 18 hz. Room gain will add to the low end output.

Shiva Sealed.JPG

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats why I am figuring on doing 4 of them. I should gain 12 db I am guessing. I got the Rane PE17 that I could use for HPF. The EP2500 puts out 850 watts per channel supposedly. That is with it maxed out. Hopefully with 4 of the shivas, I wont have to max it out.
I could also go with 2 Maelstroms instead.

I know for HT, ported is the way to go. but I think I will be compromising the SQ of the Orions with a ported sub. You know of any way to approximate room gain?

Ahhhhhhh, decisions, decisions.
By the way, How have you been? You were a huge help with my last build.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also since these are going to be crossed over so low, are there any other design factors I should be considering?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I'm fine, thanks for asking. Dual Maelstroms in 7 cu.ft. each would have a slight advantage in output over 4 Shiva's, which ever way you decide to go a HPF is a must.

Also since these are going to be crossed over so low, are there any other design factors I should be considering?
Not that I can think of.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always thought a HPF wasnt needed for a sealed design. The Rane's HPF is only a 12db slope. Hopefully that'll be enough. I gotta do some modeling with the MalX.
I was trying to get away from a big box. 7 cuft isnt too outrageous I guess. I suppose I wont know if an LT is needed until after I do the build.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see that, once I model an LT or an EQ boost down low I am well over the excursion limits. I keep seeing REW graphs of sealed subs that are flat well into the teens, How are they achieving that? Can that all be attributed to room gain?

You've seen the dimensions of my room, it is fairly large. I dont think room gain is going to give me that much of a boost. According to WinISD I am already rolling off where I want to cross them over. I guess multiple subs would help a little bit. I would like to keep it to 2 EP2500s. So 4 shivas or 2 Malxs are the limits. The wife is gonna draw the limit somewhere.

AHHHH. I could see it already. I am going to end up with 4 sealed MalX. At least all these amps will help keep the heating bill a little lower in the winter.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick question. Besides the WAF factor. Is there any pros or cons to designing a smaller sealed sub with a bit of EQ or an LT versus a larger sealed box with no EQ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts