Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that someone added some small vent holes on a sealed sub enclosure they where building. I'm almost done with mine and I wanted to know if this is important.My enclosure is about 3.5 cubes with a tc2000 15"?

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
I read somewhere that someone added some small vent holes on a sealed sub enclosure they where building. I'm almost done with mine and I wanted to know if this is important.My enclosure is about 3.5 cubes with a tc2000 15"?
Cutting a hole in your sealed enclosure would turn it into a ported one. This would not be advisable unless you have modeled the enclosure in a ported environment and have an appropriate port ready to install. Even then it is highly unlikely you would achieve optimal performance by simply converting a sealed box to ported in such a crude manner.

·
Registered
62 Posts
One would imagine he's talking about Siegfried Linkwitz's suggestion to put a pin hole size opening in small sealed boxes.
Scroll down to the first bullet item under the Other Applications section
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/thor-eq.htm

This has been proposed by Mr Linkwitz but not peer reviewed by an AES panel, so according to certain people's rules it's an idea with no credibility.

·
Registered
241 Posts
We have biult many sealed subwoofers, and never had to put tiny holes in them. The aluminium enclosures in particular are incredibly well sealed, and there has never been a problem with them. To me to even be a possible issue you would have to have one, and incredibly well sealed subwoofer, two a rapid atmospheric preasure change and a very large enclosure to have enough air volume for the preasure change to have enough effect on the air volume, and lastly a small driver with very soft suspension to even be effected by the change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that settles it for me, and yes I was talking about the very small holes. Thanks you guys are awesome, that is why I do so much reading here and very little posting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts