Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i am looking to do a dual sub build for my HT. Here is what i got.
2 x TCsounds 3000 subs
Crown CTS 3000 amp to power them
Velodyne SMS-1 for eq.
So, like i said, only build two other subs before so still a newb as far as that goes.
Sealed, thinking of enclsure to be 2x 3/4" walls for a 1.5" total without internal bracing.
will this work well enough? internal size in cube form? Eg. 21" LWH
stuffing, poly fill pillow stuffing? or something like that? and about how many pounds needed?
Sorry for the really vague terminology and appologize if i have forgotten something, any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are the 15" subs.... and even though they are new with the 3hp neo motors, i do not know where to find the parameters.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more quick thing, the SMS-1 will control 3 subs and i currently have a Tumult MKII in a sealed enclosure, should i consider running it higher in around the >40 to 50hz to 150? and keep the two TC's crossed over at 80 or even 60hz and lower? hope that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Since you have neo motors I assume that you got these drivers from RobotUnderground? They will not have the same properties as the TC3K exactly. Did RU have any parameters for them? Either way it's hard to mess up on a sealed box too bad so that's a good choice. 3cu ft is probably a good guess at a volume to use. Polyfill pillow stuffing is fine.

I would not try to use the Tumult for an MBM. They are not known for having a good top end response due to the inductance. They are best at the lower stuff. Run them all the same would be my suggestion too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would not try to use the Tumult for an MBM. They are not known for having a good top end response due to the inductance. They are best at the lower stuff. Run them all the same would be my suggestion too.
I thought the high inductance was only a problem with the MkI, and that MkII corrected that? Not sure, which is why I ask...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent, i was kind of hoping at those types of figures. So will do (2) 3.0 cuft sealed boxes with the poly fill stuffing. Hoping to start next week. anxious to see how all these things come together. I hope the Crown CTS3000 works out well too. It should push them easily enough. As for configuration, i was thinking of the two TC's upfront, and the tumult in the rear. Set my EAD TM8000 processor crossover to 80hz, and hopefully the SMS-1 which can handle 3 subs can do the rest for me. Sound right? Now for the sealed enclosures, can i do both boxes in a 1.5" thick walls and no bracing or better off with a 3/4" design with bracing and 1.5" front baffle as in the design build noted above? also, does it matter how much stuffing i use?
thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a TC 3K 15" sub I'm now using in a passive radiator box of 7cf. Before that, it was in a 4cf sealed box. The TC 3k strenght is low bass, above 60hz it drops off quite a bit (mid-bass is not its strenght). I would do the crossover right at 50hz or 60hz (not above that). The 3cf sealed box would work fine for it and 1-lb of polyfill per cubic feet for your box size should do the trick (3-lbs). Good luck!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Also, for box building, I would do 3/4" all around and do 1.5" front baffle. As for bracing, do vertical and horizontal braces, leave some 8" to 12" of space between each brace. I tend to "overkill" when I do braces but that will give you an inert enclousure and would work better than 1.5" thick all around for the box build and it will be lighter too compared to 1.5" walls.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
:dontknow: I remember Adire going on and on about the top end of the XBL^2 drivers as well as the bottom, and how low Le was... but this is the second time I have heard that said.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
It may not be terrible by any means, but I'm talking about compared to pro woofers like B&C's, JBL's, Faital's that I'm used to hearing. A Tumult is just not a good tool for that job. It's tailor made for pumping out low bass so restricting it to 30 or 40hz and above is effectively disregarding it's best strength.

Look at Illka's test of the sealed Tumult 15. It was a MK1, but the MK2 wasn't that much different on the top end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am using northcreek CM7's upfront corssed over at 80hz and seem very capable there but, would i be better off replacing the tumult with a different driver to run a better transition from the 30-40hz up to the 80-100hz? eliminate the tumult altogether and just run the TC's? maybe clearer if i put it this way.
tc's and tumult
just tc's
tc's and (suggestions for another midrange 30 to 100hz driver)

·
Registered
159 Posts
In my opinion, the best mid-bass DIY subs right now are the AE AV15X/H drivers. I have a TC 3K 15", a CCS SDX 15" and AX15X subs. The AV15X sub is the best one of them all, although the SDX is good too.
You can go 100hz and higher with no problem. I've tested it up to 200hz with no drop of performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
interesting, how good do you find the SDX15 is in the higher range. I actually have one new in the box, but didnt think it was in the same league as the TC's and Tumult MKII. atleast low end. if its a better sub higher up the freq ladder, than maybe i can use it unless there are others that are significantly better in that role?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, to me the TC 3k is also better than the SDX sub in the low bass. The response from 60hz-100hz, the SDX is much better than the TC sub, not close. In my big room with no nulls at my seating position (only a couple of peaks), the SDX sub is anywhere from 3db's to 10db's better than the TC sub in that mid-bass range. For output up to 120hz, I think the SDX will do well. It's probably your best option for your set-up (out ot the subs that you have, which are quite a few).

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
It may not be terrible by any means, but I'm talking about compared to pro woofers like B&C's, JBL's, Faital's that I'm used to hearing. A Tumult is just not a good tool for that job. It's tailor made for pumping out low bass so restricting it to 30 or 40hz and above is effectively disregarding it's best strength.

Look at Illka's test of the sealed Tumult 15. It was a MK1, but the MK2 wasn't that much different on the top end.
sorry if I'm straying a little OT, but where do the Maelstrom's fall in on the top end? I was under the impression that Avalanches, Tumults, Bramhas, and now Maelstroms were just as impressive up high as they are down low do to XBL... I might lose a little sleep over this tonight...

then back OT if I'm off the path here...

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
sorry if I'm straying a little OT, but where do the Maelstrom's fall in on the top end? I was under the impression that Avalanches, Tumults, Bramhas, and now Maelstroms were just as impressive up high as they are down low do to XBL... I might lose a little sleep over this tonight...

then back OT if I'm off the path here...
All that I am saying is that it and the rest of the drivers mentioned do not make a good MBM driver. That's all. I'm not saying they sound bad. Cutting the lows out of a Tumult is handicapping it. You wouldn't use an Eminence Kappa pro 15 for a dedicated SW and low pass it at 40hz (giving it only 40hz down). Use the right tool for the job. If I was the OP I'd use all 3 subs, but I'd run them all the full bass signal. I'd throw the SDX in there and run it too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so all four subs then? does it matter that there are 3 different type of subs in the 4 sub setup? how would i do this? my EAD TM8000 processor has 7.2 setup and the SMS-1 has 3 sub control.... i hope this isnt too tricky! so i would run the output from the processor to the SMS-1 then one single channel to the Crown CTS3000 to power the TC's upfront, the each single other input to the SDX and TUmult? they each are BASH audio plate amped. So the CTS would run 8ohm dual channel to each TC, which i think is DVC at 4 ohm each? sound right?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts