Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

221 - 240 of 446 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I haven't seen a post by Deon for along time, hearing from him again would be nice.

If someone asked me to build the ultimate subwoofer system the answer would be the TC Sounds LMS Ultra without question. I still have to stop my-self everyday from ordering a quad pack of those driver but I enjoy different paths when I have any kind of free time.

I have dual Mael-X 18's and a single Mael-X 21 which are regarded as fine subs and the only reason I keep them around. I will admit that the LMS Ultra is a superior sub though but at the same time about double the price of the Mael-X 18. The LMS just has a sharper attack if that makes any sense, it just seems more violent if you have enough juice to push it. I still have a TC Sounds TC3000 15" and dual Audiopulse Axis 12" which I have a hard time getting rid of, not that no one wants to buy them, but that I don't want to sell then as the engineering is so great.

I am a BIG fan of TC Sounds, there engineering prowess is some of the finest work I have seen. The products you have Robert are some of the finest work they have done and there current work like what Brandon has is also excellent.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
You know, I wonder what Thilo could build if cost was absolutely no object and losing money on the venture did not come into play?
I wonder too, the man can design a sub like no other and I would be in if he needs a couple of business partners.

·
Registered
464 Posts
He definitely was the start of all this really serious woofer craze. Before him, woofers were still barely moving-just big. He made 12's that blew away 18's. Now all that has changed, and he is still up there with the tech he has come up with.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well, I am off to bed. Hope Brandon gets his system rocking. I know the driver and the amp are perfect together. All that needs to be done is to fine tune what he has and delete some of the stuff that might be causing the issue.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
So, you went with the Mals? Are they still available?
I already had a pair of the Mael-X 18's and got lucky on a Mael-X 21. The LMS is a superior woofer, no doubt. The Mael's are no longer available, that's a shame. I here there may be new 18" subs coming around the corner but that is just here say. I hope a lot of subs come back to the US as the Mael-X is no longer because of the bad batch from a China build house. TC also had a problem so that is why they were out of the LMS Ultra for awhile but the current batch is from a new build house with better QC.

The LMS Ultra is the ultimate sub IMO, I just figured I would use the remainding woofers I have for a dual quad 12" system with dual opposed Mael-X 18's and a single Mael-X 21, why not, I have them already:bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
It is really good to have you back around Robert, you one of the Pioneers who started us all of on this sub craze and I thank you for that. What I don't thank you for is mentioning renters, they can be a real pain:paddle:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
don't get me started on that! I tried to get my rent today-needless to say....
It can be aggravating but it will turn out for the best. A friend of mine asked me yesterday what it was like, I said imagine all the things you have to do for you own house and multiply it by how many tenants you have.

·
Registered
464 Posts
And then multiply that by the fact that they break most of the stuff on purpose. I had glass doors on all the closets in one house and six months later, they were gone. Now they have curtains instead of doors!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I always replace all glass closets, whatever I can do to reduce liability. I always tell them that what they see right now is what the house has to look like when they move out, if they do that I will refund 100% of there security deposit. I always try and stress the fact that I want to refund 100% of the security deposit, the only reason I would not is because of them. I have been lucky with only about $500 taken out of a $2,100 security so far but I am knocking on wood right now.

·
Registered
464 Posts
keep knocking, bacause I haven't had the chance to refund a deposit. I live in New Orleans and the people who rent around here seem to be the nastiest of the nasty- just my thoughts on that. I would love to chew the fat with you on rentals. Seems we have more in common than just subwoofers and HT.

Good luck,

Robert

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
I thought maybe I said too much and then I thought maybe not enough. anyway I found this description and its the best I've seen yet.

Stereophile Magazine writer (I forget which writer) caught alot of flack awhile back for commenting on a pair of very high priced speaker cables being rendered useless because there was so little resistance in the cable. When used a Zobel network can be found included in the crossover.

Many very knowledgeable people commented that a Zobel is not usually necessary in home audio speakers..., other equally knowledgeable respected people commented that where there is active inductance resulting from speaker coil movement a zobel can stabilize inductance throughout the frequency range or something like that.
A Zobel is a series resistor-capacitor (R-C) network that is connected in parallel with a loudspeaker driver in order to neutralize the effects of the driver’s voice coil inductance L(e). Figure 1 below shows a Zobel consisting of resistor R1 and capacitor C1.

Figure 1: A Zobel Network Consisting of R1 and C1

http://www.trueaudio.com/st_zobel.htm

221 - 240 of 446 Posts