Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
More progress is being made. I'll post some pics up tonight. I've got the baffles and backs done and mounted up. I'll be putting a 1/2" roundover on the cabs tonight. From there I have to seal up the inside, install the weatherstripping, install lining, put the handles on, install the speakons and figure out what I'm going to do for bracing the back panel. It must be removable to match the back panel. I've got an idea but until I actually try it...:rolleyesno: After all of that gets done it'll be time to start on the second pair of cabs.:whew: I should get done with those about this time next year. At this point I've got about 5years worth of projects I want to do.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
These are going to end up housing XXX 18's long term. One sealed in each enclosure. A total of 4 of em powered off of 2 QSC PL9.0's. It should be about 3250w per driver. My 220v 50A line for those is being run on Friday. I've had all of the drivers and the 2 amps for almost a year now. It'll probably take me another year to get the whole thing up and running.

However I plan on using these to do some port, stuffing, lining, bracing, dual opposed and driver tests as well. I should be able to clear up to a 21" driver past the baffle mounting bolts. A 22" may take some ingenuity if I ever wanted to do that. 9 cu ft net should be enough space to test most 15-21" drivers sealed, or most 12-15's ported.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Further progress. The first 2 enclosures are done and I've started on the second set. They should go a lot quicker because I know what I'm doing this time. I ended up using roll on Duplicolor truck bed liner on them. I tried to use the spray on stuff but it just wasn't working and would've cost a fortune. I've also got the 220v lines for the amplifiers installed.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
What's so special about the XXX 18 besides the 54mm Xmax, high power handling, and the 15.60hz resonance frequency? Does it have really low distortion like the LMS 18's? I just don't really see why it's worth $1500+ at some places. Is it really that good?

By the way, nice looking boxes. Looking foward to some results :T

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
You sort of answered your own question Dylan. Ruggedness, power handling, low end extension without EQ, low distortion, uncompressed deep bass dynamics, etc. I got mine for $700-$850.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Mercy! If BW limited down low in a BP4 to maximize cab efficiency, in a sim using the same net Vb as a max flat sealed alignment it outputs ~ as much as a Servo-Drive Contrabass for < the cost of a clapped out used one (~$1 k on average), though at a considerable expense in increased cab size (~27.4 ft^3 + vent Vp Vs ~10 ft^3)! If true, then from sad experience I know this thing is literally a potential house wrecker. :(

GM

Attachments

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yes. They are house wreckers. My single ported one does scary things all on it's own. All 4 of the sealed ones together should be relaxed :newspaper: with anything I throw at them.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I figured that I would post a few pictures of the first 2 cabs in their temporary abode that they will be staying at while I attempt to get the room at home and the other 2 cabinets completed:coocoo:. I forgot to take any pics of them all finished until I had already dragged them up to the rehearsal space and put them in place!:doh: I'm not the brightest sometimes. Anyhoo...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hey Josh,

Those dudes look right at home. The cabs look really good. Very beefy. The cabs must be way more solid than the one you had a few months back. The baffle is very thick, di you double up on the sides and back?

Looking good.

Robert

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hey Rob. I left the sides, bottom and top a single thickness still, The baffle and back are thicker. Even still these are a lot more thoroughly braced and heavier than the one I had at the GTG. I haven't put the hammer down on them yet, to see whether I can get them to walk across the room.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hey Rob. I left the sides, bottom and top a single thickness still, The baffle and back are thicker. Even still these are a lot more thoroughly braced and heavier than the one I had at the GTG. I haven't put the hammer down on them yet, to see whether I can get them to walk across the room.

If you bounce them in the spot they are in, it is going to be like a set of maracas.
:yay::yay::yay2::yay2:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I've been playing with these the last couple of days. No bouncing on these cabs yet Robert.:demon: The extra weight and bracing seemed to help out a lot. I ran Bass I Love You through them at literal pants flapping level a couple of times and also ran Jurassic Lunch and Bass Mekanik's Toccata and Fugue a couple of times as well. I also used a bunch of pink noise, music and straight up mic'd kick drum. I'm trying to break these drivers in. This pair has been sitting in their shipping containers vertically for over a year and who knows how long before that, so the suspension needs a good stretching to knock the dust off and re-center it. I nearly tripped the breaker on Bass I Love You. The lights dimmed horribly. You can only get so much out of a 120v 30A line. I need to run third leg for this room.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm envious that you have a room/house/whatever that can handle the pressure!

BTW, tried any of these uncompressed recordings? Don't have a clue how they compare to the bass centric ones since I trashed my place too quick with pipe organ symphonies and a couple of movies before I could try any of them.

GM

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I sure have enjoyed those recordings GM. Just not on these in this room yet. The Finale is one of my favorites. I also like the train recordings. The fact that you can hear so much of the natural surroundings (cicada's, bugs flying around, squeeks, air releasing) is really cool.

41 - 60 of 114 Posts