Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My theater room is 20 feet size to side and a little over 15 feet front to back. I have a pole in the room that's in the middle,so,I put my couch in front of the pole so that leaves about 10 feet from the couch to the tv and I have a 73 inch DLP. The pole is about 15 inches of the back wall
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
So whats the question your getting at? If you have a 100" screen seating distance should be approximately 11 feet, if that helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I wasn't sure If there were specifics with the room size and the screen size on how far you should sit for better viewing.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
My theater room is 20 feet size to side and a little over 15 feet front to back. I have a pole in the room that's in the middle,so,I put my couch in front of the pole so that leaves about 10 feet from the couch to the tv and I have a 73 inch DLP. The pole is about 15 inches of the back wall
Thanks
Unless I'm reading it wrong, those numbers don't add up. Your room is a little over 15 feet from front to back; there is a pole about 15 inches from the back wall; you put your couch in front of the pole, so you should have roughly 13-14 feet in front of you, but your TV is only 10 feet away? Is the TV 3-4 feet deep or do you have it pulled 3-4 feet away from the front wall?

As for seating distance, 10 feet from a 73 inch screen will give you a 30° viewing angle, which is the minimum that SMPTE recommends for movie watching. Personally, I prefer a larger & more immersive image, so I would move a couple feet closer. But that's me. Try a closer seating distance and see whether you like it or not.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Rule of thumb is 1.5" for every 1" of screen size. This means the primary seating position would be 9.1 ft from the screen. You can cheat a little closer, if you begin to see pixels, your too close. Remember, the distance is from your eye to the screen surface.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I sit 12' back from my 106" screen and it is perfect. :D So if you are happy with your setup as is then your fine.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Rule of thumb is 1.5" for every 1" of screen size.
Just to clarify, this rule is applied for 16x9 AR screen and it is 1.5 x width of the screen, not the diagonal dimension, which is usually what screens are measured by. This is a minimum recommended seating distance (from the eyes to the screen) according to THX standards.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Thanks Roman, I have always missed that for all these years! Just shows we are never too old to learn :T.

This means I can get a bigger screen for my room!

·
Registered
234 Posts
You are very welcome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts