Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work as an acoustic consultant in Sydney. I mainly get involved in building acoustics - eg sound insulation between rooms (residential apartments, plantrooms, speech privacy between offices, whatever), indoor airconditioning noise, intrusion of external noise (mainly transportation noise such as rail, traffic, aircraft).

recently I have been involved in design of a couple of large studios and have taken an interest in finding out more about room acoustic design and being able to design studios myself from scratch.

recently I tested 3 external soundcards (freq resp only) for use with REQW.

Presonus Inspire 1394. Line connections worked v well (very flat down to 10Hz). Microphone preamps rolled off a lot below 100hz (-3dB points were 57Hz, 21kHz at 44k sampling).

Edirol UA-5. Both line connections and mic preamps worked v well. v flat down to about 10Hz.

Edirol UA-25. Same.

I was attracted to the idea of an external soundcard with a built-in mic pre-amp so I would have the option of plugging in a SLM (a 'real' one) or a cheap mic like the ECM8000 and not have to carry to site an extra box (ie an external mic pre-amp).

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hello Seb and welcome to the Shack!

Very interesting info on the mic preamp soundcard. Are those expensive? Which one are you actually using and what is an SLM?

I believe we have some members who would love to hear more about this over in the BFD | REW forum.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Welcome Seb!
This may be random but I had a friend in elementary school named "Zebulin" but we all called him Zeb for short...Your name reminded me of him... As an acoustic consultant Im sure you can teach me a lesson or two about my peaky room :T Glad to have you aboard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.