Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired 2 JL Audio 12w7's, a Crown CE4000, and a RANE PE-17 and am interested in building a sealed system with equalization, similar to the Fathom F212.

I have woodworking experience and tools and previously built a sub with an 18" LMS5400 and two passives.

I would appreciate someone's help on box size, whether to just do two boxes, and any other help someone might be able to give me.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of wiring the 2 drivers separately off each channel; would I be better off bridging and wiring in series?

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you want dual separate subs... Here you go... Again external amp... With 1" walls. Suggest you make it 1.5" for the speaker baffle... If you add braces or an internal amp, you will have to adjust the box volume accordingly.

Suggest that you put any internal amp (if desired) in a sub-enclosure to prevent any issues with the internal pressures of the driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi jon96789

Would you be interested in designing an enclosure for a JL 12w7 (original series) with mounting for a Crown XLS-1000? I'm looking for complete design specs so I can just give it to a woodworking buddy of mine and have him build it. I would obviously be willing to pay, I hope this isn't against forum rules.

If you want dual separate subs... Here you go... Again external amp... With 1" walls. Suggest you make it 1.5" for the speaker baffle... If you add braces or an internal amp, you will have to adjust the box volume accordingly.

Suggest that you put any internal amp (if desired) in a sub-enclosure to prevent any issues with the internal pressures of the driver.

·
Registered
248 Posts
A single 12W7 is optimized to operate in a 1.375 cu. ft. (38.9 l) sealed enclosure a piece
Dont make the box to big,you get problem,s whit the Xmax of the driver.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not for home theater it isn't. I assume your are quoting car audio recommendations.
No Mike,look at the Xmax of the driver,if you build a system calculated Q,7 the Xmax will destroy the woofer.
I build a lot of JL ,and i am very sure off it.

I know you know a lot about sub,s,i do not often say something.
Butt whit JL drivers,dont use WINisd it will not give you a correct calculation.

JL driver are designd for a small box,also for HT home use.

I tested it,a bigger box doen not give the tight sound a JL driver can give.
A smal box does this very well.

Output doesnt matter,only on paper.
Afther good dsp a smal box also get,s to 10 or 15 hz,but play,s much more tight.
Not to speak obout the Xmax if u use 3cu,ik will destroy your driver,really Mike.
I tested some JL in several boxes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Looking at the Specifications of the F112 ,calculate the insinde
I gues it is 1,7/1,8 cu /about 50 liter.
How did you get that info if i may ask Mike.
I looking at te box of the F112 and calculated it,but i could be wrong ;-)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I build some JL,and it seems if you make the box much larger than the spec,s say.
The Xmax will be reached to soon.
Not calcutated Xmax ,but i mean the Xmax looking at the driver how far i can push it to te limit.

Bigger box reached the Xmax much to soon ,small box more tight sound,and the Xmax does not go to far if you putt theme to extreme at and below 20 hz.

My calculation was a litlle of maybey ,
1.7 cu ft/50 liters would be better than what i sad before.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts