Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I decided to build a second one, so I have a matching pair..

Here is my old build thread:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/for.../43095-dual-evx-180b-17-cuft-25hz-ported.html

It's around 17 cuft, with a 4" slot port tuned to 25 hz. It's not a high excursion driver, but it's very efficient (near 100db). It's big, at around 48in tall, 24 wide and 31.5 deep.

I did 2" OC703 lining this time, previously used pink fiberglass on the last build. Still have very mixed feelings about the lining. I've just read SO many differing opinions. In retrospect, I might have just done 50% polyfil -- either that or heavy 6 in or so fiberglass in just the rear of the enclosure.

A little happier with the bracing, but I still feel like it's not enough. It was just a matter of time, I just don't have enough time to cut and install the bracing I want, so I just compromised. I'd like to see how much the cabinet flexes under high SPLs. I'm still not 100% convinced that the bracing is anywhere near as important on ported builds as sealed.

I have a finished (well, mostly finished other than a little paint) - picture that I'll post well.

I still need to do some sweeps, I did very little with the first one that I built, so I'm overdue.

Neutrik Speakon connector on the top..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please excuse the crossposting... Everything I said in my other thread applies here:

This is my goofball neice... standing next to the Mal-X 21" sub and the dual EVX sub.

I've since finished the paint.. flat black. They're going behind a screen wall, so I'm happy with them looking rather "industrial".

Later, I'd still like to duratex them and put on some corner protectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I would have added a vertical brace to the dual sub so it supports the middle and port at the bottom. I would have also made the window bracing thicker too but other than that its fine.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have added a vertical brace to the dual sub so it supports the middle and port at the bottom. I would have also made the window bracing thicker too but other than that its fine.
If I had more time, I would have done that too.

I swore that the window bracing wasn't thin, at 1.5" for each section, but in retrospect, looks pretty flimsy.

At some point, I'll tear it back open and improve the bracing. I'd probably do slats instead, because it's A LOT of cutting and a big waste of wood, to take a 2'x3' piece of wood and cut most of it out. It would be quicker to just do slats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Zeitgeist.

I know this thread is very old but what did you do with your dual EVX's? Did you keep them and if so, what do you think of them?

I have 4 of these EVX180 drivers but they really are more of a SR speaker. I know these are used in EV's commercial cinema cabinets (TL880D)....

I've just bought an IXL 18.2.2 to use in my HT. So, I'm contemplating selling my EVX's....unless I can think of a way to use them in conjunction with the IXL. They are nicely made drivers and in some ways I'd be sorry to let them go. The EVX's provide a lot of SLAM!!

Anyway, I'm interested to know your thoughts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts