Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With so many break-ins lately in my general area, I'd like to know if any of you guys have measures set in place to prevent theft and what these are. Really curious, my mind is set on an outdoor camera for surveillance, but this won't do much I guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Surveillance is always handy, so you should install the camera, hands down. If anything happens, you have video footage of the person or at least the incident, and when you're on vacation or just away for a while, you can tap into the footage it records to see if everything's ok, even get notifications over the phone is something's up, depends on the type of camera.

An added safety measure is to secure the windows, a lot of break-ins happen because of this. If you don't have tempered glass windows, which are rated to be an estimated 4 times stronger than classic windows, you can always just add some bars, but that's not the most aesthetically pleasing option. Another option is to add window sensors or keyed locks that you evidently keep locked when you're not around.

The front door is mandatory to secure, no doubt there. Smart locks are definitely the modern and safest option to secure your home's main entry, and there are options for all pockets, so there's not a big financial sacrifice to make if you install one either. I'd go even further and recommend that you add a garage door opener in case you have a garage. A lot of break-ins actually don't necessarily involve breaking into the house cause there are more than enough valuables in the garage too. Depending on the setup you have, the garage can even provide an entrance into your home too.

When you go away, also keep in mind to not post everything on social media and become an easy target. Post your photos and stories when you're back, not when you're away, letting everyone know the house is vacant. When you're gone you can also leave a TV on or something to make it look like someone is around. If you have a very trusted friend or relative, leave them with a spare key so that they go over once in a while to check if everything's ok and who knows, maybe someone who is eyeing your property sees the traffic and gives up on their intentions. I'll leave you with a few other sources that might help, best of luck.
How to Increase Your Home Security
Best Rated Smart Door Locks Reviews - 2020 Keyless Electronic Door Locks
10 Simple Ways to Discourage Break-ins

1 - 2 of 2 Posts