Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to purchase a couple of subwoofers for one of my 2-channel systems and I'm open to suggestions/advice. Music only, no HT. I'm limited on space and need to keep the size down to around 15" X 15" floor space. So far, I am considering the Sunfire HRS series, Elemental Designs A3S with 2-band parametric eq, and Definitive Technology Supercube II. I would also consider an SV Sound cylinder sub, but due to size I could only use one of those. A Hi-Fi dealer that I have been dealing with for over 30 years strongly recommends the Definitive Technology and uses these in his personal system with Magnepans. In general, I've always prefered the sound of subwoofers with passive radiators, but I'm open to other designs as well.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
You have listed off some good quality subs I do strongly believe that the SVS subs offer the best for the money another company to look at is HSU If your only doing music The SVS SB12 Plus is the sub for you and is fairly small and has been discontinued so is on sale right now for $749.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
I agree with the SVS suggestion. Althought the cylinder may be a great choice, too. Always get the best sub you can afford. You will be happier. Dennis

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I built a couple of Rythmic subs about 4 years ago and I know they are good, but I have too much going on right now to build another project. I'm going commercial this time. I'll take another look at what SVS has to offer. I heard one of their box and one of their cylinder designs a few years ago and thought they were pretty good. Anyone with experience with the other designs I mentioned - Elemental Designs A3S or Definitve Technology?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Mark,

Totally understandable about the lack of time. The Rythmik that I sent a link to is actually a fully built sub with a custom 12" driver designed by a guy named Danny Richie.

If you are still looking to go to another company, SVS is DEFINITELY my first choice. I've heard an Elemental Designs sub that was fantastic for the price. The only thing was that it wasn't the greatest thing to look at. As far as Def Tech's offerings, I personally have never really been that impressed with their subwoofer offerings, honestly. They are overpriced and you don't get very good quality sound especially for what you pay.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jon, thanks for the input. I'm getting varied opinions on my choices. I know Rythmik is good since I built two of them previously and their prebuilt subs look very nice as well. In my experience, one thing about the Rythmiks was that they did not seem to have a lot of output at the lower frequencies which is why I no longer have them. I can flog subwoofers pretty hard with my Sludge Metal, Hard Techno, and pipe organ music. The Hi-Fi dealer that I mentioned previously considers the Definitive Technology subs to be the best he's ever heard and he uses them in his own home system with Magnepans. He sells other brands, but considers Def Tech to be the best. I'm keeping an open mind and continue my research.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd vote for the Rythmik's F15 or running an SVS PC12-Plus in sealed mode. If music is the top priority, I'd swing for the Rytmik. You can get them pre-made, in nice finishes from Ascend Acoustics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, the F15 would be nice, but it is just too big for the space I have available. I'm leaning toward getting two smaller size subs and the F12 subs would fit in the space I have.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Mark, I have very little doubt that the HiFi dealer backs the Def Tech as his personal choice and likely it is the best of the ones that he sells, but I am wondering if he's ever heard an SVS, Elemental Designs, Rythmik Audio, Epik, or even some of the Hsu Research subs. I've heard several Def Tech's including their flagship, Trinity, and it did not sound as musical (or accurate) as some of the subs from those companies I mentioned.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I made my decision today and ordered two Elemental Designs A5s-300 subs with the eQ.2 parametric EQ. The folks at eD were very helpful in promptly responding to all of my questions and they seem to have a good reputation from what I've read. It'll be a few weeks before I receive them though since none are in stock and they are being shipped to Japan. Thanks everyone for all of the great recommendations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.