Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I stand by my original position of separates beating out a single receiver.
This is based on my personal experience, watching and listening to many movies in our theater. To achieve the correct and best dynamic range, from very, very low and barely audible, to explosive gunfire and room shaking bomb blasts, without overly taxing (i.e. clipping) the amplification is best done with separates.

There are some high end ($$$) AV receivers that are probably Ok. But for my money, separates rule. Remember that 70's teenager thing. More is always better. Bigger is always better. ;)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Distortion levels of .5% is not audible so distortion levels lower than that is not improving sound quality. Most mid to high end models meet this spec easily so distortion is not an issue.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I stand by my original position of separates beating out a single receiver.
This is based on my personal experience, watching and listening to many movies in our theater. To achieve the correct and best dynamic range, from very, very low and barely audible, to explosive gunfire and room shaking bomb blasts, without overly taxing (i.e. clipping) the amplification is best done with separates.

There are some high end ($$$) AV receivers that are probably Ok. But for my money, separates rule. Remember that 70's teenager thing. More is always better. Bigger is always better. ;)
Separates have their place as do AVRs. To say one rules over the other is just a personal preference. I know for a fact that separates will do nothing to improve the sound quality in any 3 of my systems. Why? Because all 3 of my AVRs are loading even when pushing low 90s db.

·
Premium Member
5,801 Posts
I can’t disagree about the metric craptons of snake oil in audio, including much “high end” audio.

That said, check out the measurements ofthe AVRs and power amps on Audio Science Review. While the audibility thresholds for some items are up for discussion, a great many AVRs and power amps have very poor distortion measurements by a variety of approaches (from SINAD through IMD) that are likely to be audible.

In my own search for kit to outfit my under construction theater I did a lot of reading and set minimum thresholds for performance. These are moderate by many standards, but some of the kit, such as the Nad T758v3 that was on my short list, fail to meet them.
I was shocked when I saw their testing of Accuphase...absolutely horrible performance IMO.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
854 Posts
I can’t disagree about the metric craptons of snake oil in audio, including much “high end” audio.

That said, check out the measurements ofthe AVRs and power amps on Audio Science Review. While the audibility thresholds for some items are up for discussion, a great many AVRs and power amps have very poor distortion measurements by a variety of approaches (from SINAD through IMD) that are likely to be audible.

In my own search for kit to outfit my under construction theater I did a lot of reading and set minimum thresholds for performance. These are moderate by many standards, but some of the kit, such as the Nad T758v3 that was on my short list, fail to meet them.
All of the distortion levels indicated by the AVR manufacturer's are well below audible levels so your point is moot.

·
Premium Member
5,801 Posts
All of the distortion levels indicated by the AVR manufacturer's are well below audible levels so your point is moot.
Except when they are not even meeting their specs, which is why people are buying their equipment.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
854 Posts
Except when they are not even meeting their specs, which is why people are buying their equipment.

What specs into particular?

·
Premium Member
5,801 Posts
Power levels, and frequency response.

·
Registered
854 Posts

Ive never seen frequency response be an issue with even entry level AVRs. Power is a different issue and I rely more on independent testers snd publications than manufacturer specs. All of my AVRs exceed their power ratings for two channels driven, full bandwidth into 4 and 8 ohms. It gets tricky when running All Channels Driven (ACD) tests because you are actually testing the protection mechanism implemented by the manufacturer. Yamahas tend to be more conservative and will trip their protection circuit at lower power level outputs. Yet their 2 channel tests are far and above their advertised specs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Steve Hoffman is one the biggest purveyors of snake oil so I wouldnt put alot of stock in his comments. He is absolutely dead set against DBT which makes me question his credability on this subject. If you want more accurate reading, look to Audioholics, Soundstage, and Stereophile.
Yep, there are a lot of great alternatives. I've been choosing between amplifier and receiver recently, ( watching here: https://theguruchoice.com/record-playеrs/best-receiver-for-turntable/ ), and the best budget model I've seen there was Sony STRDH190. Few days of different testing and I got it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts