Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plate amp just died on me, so I am looking at replacing it . It is verry old so thought it would be best to replace the old 200wrms to something alot beefier. I do not mind upgrading but do not want to do constantly. That is why I would like something with plenty of power. On the question of the servo sub amp issue, Just what is a servo sub amp and does it have to be combined w/servo sub? To my recollection, I was thinking they work in harmony as a push/pull operation with the cone driver to make return of cone faster. Also less distortion and more accurate. Any thoughts?recommendations?

·
Registered
119 Posts
My plate amp just died on me, so I am looking at replacing it . It is verry old so thought it would be best to replace the old 200wrms to something alot beefier. I do not mind upgrading but do not want to do constantly. That is why I would like something with plenty of power. On the question of the servo sub amp issue, Just what is a servo sub amp and does it have to be combined w/servo sub? To my recollection, I was thinking they work in harmony as a push/pull operation with the cone driver to make return of cone faster. Also less distortion and more accurate. Any thoughts?recommendations?
What kind of sub do you have? sealed, ported...? What driver are you using? Yes, you have to use a servo driver with a servo amp or you are just wasting money without the benefits. I am using an Oaudio 500w plate amp on my sealed SDX15 and I am very happy with it. Good power and flexibility. There are more opowerful plate amps out there but the cost goes up dramatically. The Oaudio was a good bang for the buck option. Let us know what you are working with and what your budget is.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Infinity 12" svc 4ohm driver in a ported enclosure. The only reason I want to go with a plate amp is to simplify the replacement with the old one... fill the hole ... withought having to rebuild the enclosure. I have hooked up my QSC RMX 2450 to it and this little 12" rocked for what it is I kid you not!!!! The bass was harder of course, but what really impressed me was the quickness and accuracy of the thing like sound quality. This is why I want something a bit beefier than the old 200w amp. to get the full potential of this sub when I want it. The driver is rated @750wrms, but I carefully gradually put the power to it wirh the QSC and with music and concert bluray and no problem. With movies I have to be a little careful to not exceed Xmax. P.S. the amp was bridged into 4 ohm mono.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts