Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been quite a while since I have been on this forum. We moved from southern NH to western NY and my stuff has been in boxes for about 18 months. I'm just getting around to setting things up again and have run into a strange problem (besides trying to remember how things worked :eek:lddude:). I have an Onkyo 5507 connected to a Parasound A51 amplifier which in turn connects to my Paradigm S6 speakers. When doing a speaker level check through the Onkyo menu, the left surround speaker needs a 3.5 Db boost to hit the same level as the other four speakers. I can see a .5 or 1.0 difference but I figured that is a bit much and something must be wrong. The right surround is connect by about 15 feet of cable and the left surround by a bit over twice that amount (12 gauge Bluejean cable). I don't think that twice the distance would explain the power difference (could be wrong).

Crossover is 80Hz for all speakers.
Distance from mike to left surround and right surround are identical.

In any case, here is what I tried and the results:

1) Swapped the left surround cables at the output of the amp.
Result: The left surround was now 3.5 Db too low and the right surround was 3.5 Db too high.
2) Switched the right and left surround speakers with each other.
Result: The left surround still needed the 3.5 Db boost and the right surround was fine.
3) Installed a new cable to the left surround
Result: No change. Still needed a 3.5 Db boost.

So I am totally stumped. Does anyone have any thoughts? Am I wrong in thinking the distance should not create such a difference (especially with 12 gauge wire)? Is there a test I am missing?

Appreciate any and all thoughts. Thanks

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am officially ready for the home. I think I just figured out the discrepancy between the left and right surround speakers and I apologize for the probably needless post. I forgot to take into account the room layout. My equipment is setup in the finished half of the basement at the far end of the room. The right surround is pretty close to a wall on its left side while the right surround is not close to any wall so I think the speaker needs to more power to get the sound to the listening position.

Again, apology for the needless post but still welcome comments even if it's to help me fill out the application to the home.

It's amazing how quickly you forget things when you've been away from it for a while.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
what is near the speaker that is needing the boost? if you have curtains and other soft items they can really eat up volume. length of wire would have not audible difference unless your talking hundreds of feet.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is near the speaker that is needing the boost? if you have curtains and other soft items they can really eat up volume. length of wire would have not audible difference unless your talking hundreds of feet.
There is nothing near the left surround speaker absorbing the sound except the length of the room (more open space). I will try and get some pictures posted in a bit.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Open space can eat sound as well, if you have openings to other areas will also impact that.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Open space can eat sound as well, if you have openings to other areas will also impact that.
Indeed! This is why I am kicking myself for not see the obvious problem before posting and wasting my time checking the hardware and the wiring. :hissyfit:

I think I have been away from this for too long but hopefully most of it will come back to me. :scratch:

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
No problem, that is what these forums are for :)

Have a great weekend

1 - 7 of 7 Posts