Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of deciding which equipment to purchase for my home system. All of out previous equipment was flooded in the Baton Rouge flooding in August.
Below are some of the items we have looked at. We already have a 65" Sony Series 9 TV that we will wall mount.
1. Marantz 9.2 channel 6011 receiver
2. 2 Martin Logan Motion 60 Tower speakers
3. Martin Logan 1000 12" Sub

Need advise/ suggestions to what to add. ex. rear in-ceiling speakers, center speakers, etc.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,328 Posts
Unfortunately there is a lot of missing information in your post. In order for anyone to assist we will need to know as much as possible, things like...

• room size
  • intended use
  • budget
  • aesthetic considerations
  • personal preferences (likes/dislikes)
The more information you can provide the better the suggestions will be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Room size 15x23.
Use-- listening to music, all types, and TV.
Budget around 7K
Can add to it in stages.
Needs to look good
We like all types of music, good beat, fairly loud, need great sound, etc.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,328 Posts
"needs to look good" is rather vague - what you find visually appealing I might not - but we can work with some of the other info.

Assuming a standard 8' ceiling height, you have roughly 2700 cubic feet to fill. Not terribly large, so it won't take a lot. I only see music and TV mentioned, which means no movies? Based upon your first post I'm speculating tower speakers are what you're looking for, so that helps focus the choices. Do you already own the Marantz and ML products or did you just audition them? 7K puts you in line for some pretty nice gear, so that opens up a lot of nice options.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
8ft ceiling heights
Definitely movies. I was vague on this.
Haven't bought anything yet. I will be ready to in 1 week.

I liked the sound of the Martin Logans. (The wife liked the sound and the appearance) These are not what I was originally shown. We will be comparing them tomorrow.
I am open to other suggestions except the Marantz. My mind is set on that. (of course, the mind is a terrible thing to waste--Lol)

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,328 Posts
Since the Marantz is a decision already made - and both you and your wife like the ML 60's - we'll consider those a done deal. That accounts for approximately $4300 of the $7000 total budget. The matching ML center and surrounds account for another $2200 or so, leaving barely $500 for a subwoofer. Here's the breakdown, based upon list price (ML doesn't usually discount so this is probably accurate):

• Marantz - $1300
  • ML 60XT towers - $3000
  • ML 50XT center - $1000
  • ML 35XT surrounds - $1200 (skip in-ceiling speakers)
That would be a killer setup for sure, but pairing it with a $500 subwoofer would not be a good match I'm afraid. Realistically you should be considering no less than something along the lines of the HSU ULS-15.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not locked in to ML. That just gives you some my likes. Another question, why skip in ceiling? It is a cleaner look. Sound may not be as good?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Another question, why skip in ceiling? It is a cleaner look. Sound may not be as good?
Yes, sound is poor and generally cost alot more to get anything decent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, based on my budget, and having settled on the Marantz, are there any suggestions. I am open to other speakers.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My only experience has been listening to the speakers at one of the box stores (Best Buy). I assume from your comment that compatible speaker systems can be had on the Internet at greatly reduced pricing. The question is which ones have that great, compatible sound for a newbie looking? I would hate to order a system for a substantial dollar figure and find out it sucks!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I speak only on SVS's quality as I have them in my system and know many others do as well. They are hard to beat and the build quality is top notch. Yes you do save when buying from an internet direct company like them as they dont have to pass high rent costs on to the buyer. many ID companies offer a no cost return policy as well.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
A buddy of mine has a full SVS Prime setup and for the money it sounds great. If you've gone to Best Buy and heard their speakers these should impress you. In the unlikely event you don't like them SVS will take them back. They have a great return policy.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Although the ML 60s are a good speaker I think the SVS towers would be at least the same quality.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A lot of choices. Now to pick just one. I don't know where I can hear some of these locally. I know the wife wants to "try before she buys". She did the same thing with me. Lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Along the same lines, I need suggestions on speaker cables, etc. All that is there is old, small Guage speaker wire that I know isn't suitable. Along with anything else needed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts