Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

First post, searched for hours to find an answer but couldn't find;

I want to measure my studio, hooked up an UMIK 1 mic to my mac pro 5.1 HDX rig but am stuck to only measuring Left, Right, Subwoofer.
Is there a workaround to measure my 5.1 setup, speakers individually? I tried for hours to do different combinations, make a aggregate and one time I managed to be able to select L C R SUB but then the routing of the speakers weren't working properly.

I am able to get sound out of my left speaker and control it through the Xmon, but rather have all speakers working to make a good test.
If I just have the stereo option, the sound of the right speaker is routed to the right surround instead of the front right. I can imagine that measuring only left and right would already be a big help since there are the biggest problems (placed in the corners). But then also i have to correct the routing.

My setup is:

- Umik 1 measure mic >
- Mac pro 5.1 >
- Pro tools HD X >
- AVID 8x8x8 I/O >
- AVID XMON / D-command >
- PSI monitors (5.0 setup, no sub)

I run latest version of Sierra. If someone has some tips, thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
If you configure the output as 5.1 in the Mac's Audio Midi Setup you should be able to select the individual channels directly from REW.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello John,

Thanks for your reply. I might oversee something really easy; but I selected it I think properly in the Audio Midi Setup, but it still won't show in REW. Am I missing a simple step?

Audio Midi setup: Configure Loudspeakers on the Avid HDX (used as sound output and sound output for effects). Then I select 5.1 in configuration in the drop down menu and get the right channels for the speakers. (that left is left, right is right etc, Xmon has a different count).

Best,

T

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Could you post a screenshot of the Audio Midi preferences with the HDX selected? Also on the REW soundcard preferences there is a 'Generate debug file' button, please click that and attach the file it produces.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello John,

Here are the screenshots! Had to split the debug files into 2 files (1/2 + 2/2).

Hope it makes any sense, and hoping to hear if you find something helpful.
Thanks in advance,
T

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Thanks. The problem is the HDX only offers either 1, 2 or 16 channels. REW is looking for 8-channel formats at most so ends up with the HDX's stereo offering. To get around that I need to change REW to accept the 16-channel format (and potentially other formats, no doubt there are devices out there offering 24 channels, or 32, or 64...). I'll have a go at doing that for the next beta release, but in the meantime you'll have to find another way to route the signal to the channels you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your reply John, makes sense!

I will try to disable output 9/16 in the HDX card menu (not sure if that's possible, but I'll try tomorrow.)
Otherwise I will wait for the next beta, and for now I will repatch cables otherwise.

Best,
T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts