Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for any advice and what I need to be doing next to equalize my sub and integrate with my mains
i'm thinking that my mains might be a little hard to integrate since they are the def tech towers with subs

I've moved my sub around the room and found the best response
I'm using a behringer ecm8000 mic and cal file for measuring
My receiver has xo's for both the mains and the sub
My sub has a xo but I am bypassing it in LFE mode
I have the FBQ2496 for equalization

I'm sorry If I left something out, let me know if there is any more measurements or information needed
Thank you in advance

Here's what everything looks like:
(I also have graphs of each main separately with both 60 and 80hz xo's but I didn't post)

Sub baseline with receiver xo for sub set at 60

Sub baseline with receiver xo for sub set to 80

both mains with receiver xo for mains set to 60

both mains with receiver xo for mains set to 80

sub and mains with both receiver xo's set to 60

sub and mains with both receiver xo's set to 80

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Overall it doesn't look too bad.

Integrating a standalone sub with a set of towers using integrated subs is quite tough.

You can see the cancellation that's occuring when you try and mix them together, so playing with the phasing (or placement) of the standalone sub will be needed.

The integrated subs appear to be doing a good job, except they don't extend down as low as your standalone.

I wonder if using the standalone for only very low frequencies might be a better idea. Setting its crossover to something like 30 or 40Hz might reduce some of the cancellations you're experiencing..

brucek

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
here's both the sub and mains xo @ 40

here's both the sub and mains xo @ 60 with phase adjustment

here's both the sub and mains xo @ 80 with phase adjustment

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Am I right in choosing the 40 hz xo setting?
It then looks like REW will setup some filter to deal with 30-40 hz peak.
Is there anything I should/can do about the peaks at 62 and 78 hz?

Also my receiver (Harmon Kardon AVR 325) has test tones for the 5 channels but not the sub. To me it seems to sound better when I set the levels using the receiver's test tones and the RS meter as opposed to the Avia disc. How do I setup the sub level to match the mains once I set the mains using the receiver's test tone especially with a house curve?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Am I right in choosing the 40 hz xo setting?
It appears about the best. BTW, it's a lot easier to compare graphs if you use the Measured tab for overlaying them rather than on seperate plots....

Is there anything I should/can do
A BFD could remove all those peaks...

How do I setup the sub level to match the mains
Either by just observing the sub + mains graph or simply by ear. It's quite subjective....

brucek

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, i'm all set to set all my levels now that everything is worked out. I'm still not to certain as to how to set the sub level using test tones. :scratchhead:
I'm using -15 on my receiver. I use the receiver test tones for the 5 channels and get everything to match at 75db on my RS meter. How do I set the sub to match given the house curve I have set?
(receiver doesn't have a sub test tone)

Do I use the Avia test tones and raise the sub level till I get a reading of 81 db on the RS meter as long as the mains are playing at 75 db?
Are there better test tones to use?
Or is the RS meter not that accurate and I use my Behringer mic once its calibrated in Rew and go with that spl reading?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts