Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally finished my theater room and now I need to connect my vintage Onkyo 540 amp and my Klipsch horns. My home has a hard wired network as well as numerous wireless routers. Part of my network has a free standing network hard drive that contains thousands of songs and some video. Playing video should not be an issue sense I'm installing a smart TV.

I know that using a laptop and connecting the headphone output to the preamp will work, however, I'm looking for a better solution. I’m thinking about placing a CPU out of sight and installing a flip down touchscreen monitor…any better ideas?

I saw that Onkyo has a network capable amplifier, however, I want to use my old equipment.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Welcome to HTS!!! :D I am just getting into media servers myself; you could use your laptop, but using its digital output would be a much better option. Using the laptop's headphone jack works (I've done it myself) but severely limits your options.

There are also several USB devices to get sound from your PC; look for the word "asynchronous" in the description. This should reduce jitter and improve SQ as the data timing will be "managed" by the AVR's/SSP's DAC.

I'm sorry that I can't offer more input, but I hope that it helps. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
114 Posts
A computer out of sight with an external D/A converter would probably be the best thing. I used to use an older Aragon D2A connected to the digital out on my pc for my 2 channel rig and I loved it.

Pair it with a media application on the pc like XBMC and you should be golden.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in a similar situation with some of my vintage gear (HH Scott 299C amp, Marantz 2285B receiver). Was thinking of using a Lindeman DAC, and possibly a Mini Mac or an iPad...

Thanks for the post, looking forward to hear more of what others have to say!

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
There are many media streamers that will play your music from the hard drive as well as access Pandora, Slacker, MOG, etc. for on-line music. The bit rate from the on-line services varies from 128K to 192K or so, so it will not be a match for your local music's quality.

Check out the Western Digital media player line:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homeentertainment/mediaplayers/

But be sure to check any player's file format compatability. Almost everything will play MP3, but if your music is in .WAV format, a conversion will be needed. Some players will play FLAC, but some will not. Many will play from an attached hard drive via USB and some will play from a networked drive as well. Again, check out the specs and owner reviews on places like Amazon and Newegg.

Congrats on you K'horns! I have had a pair since 1978 and now have two pairs and a Belle Klipsch in my home theater. They will stay with me until death or the nursing home:D

·
Registered
114 Posts
There are many media streamers that will play your music from the hard drive as well as access Pandora, Slacker, MOG, etc. for on-line music. The bit rate from the on-line services varies from 128K to 192K or so, so it will not be a match for your local music's quality.

Check out the Western Digital media player line:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homeentertainment/mediaplayers/

But be sure to check any player's file format compatability. Almost everything will play MP3, but if your music is in .WAV format, a conversion will be needed. Some players will play FLAC, but some will not. Many will play from an attached hard drive via USB and some will play from a networked drive as well. Again, check out the specs and owner reviews on places like Amazon and Newegg.

Congrats on you K'horns! I have had a pair since 1978 and now have two pairs and a Belle Klipsch in my home theater. They will stay with me until death or the nursing home:D
File formats are relatively irrelevant when we're talking about using an external DAC for your computer. As long as the computer can decode the file and provide a bitstream output to the DAC, you should be good.

My antique Aragon D2A played wonderfully so long as my computer was sending 44.1/48 khz - 16 bit digital through the optical cable, it didn't matter what file format the computer decoded in order to get that digital signal to the SPDIF output.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
File formats are relatively irrelevant when we're talking about using an external DAC for your computer. As long as the computer can decode the file and provide a bitstream output to the DAC, you should be good.

My antique Aragon D2A played wonderfully so long as my computer was sending 44.1/48 khz - 16 bit digital through the optical cable, it didn't matter what file format the computer decoded in order to get that digital signal to the SPDIF output.
Agreed. I was only offering a different path from using a computer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Agreed. I was only offering a different path from using a computer.
Aha, I guess my curse is that I read that too quickly.

The media player that I run on the media pc is XBMC. It's the only one that I've tried which can add all the music I've got to a library without choking, but that's another discussion entirely.

Anyhoo, carry on!

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
...XBMC. It's the only one that I've tried which can add all the music I've got to a library without choking, but that's another discussion entirely.
Well since we are all here... How big? Currently I have 1325 folders with 24170 files in foobar2000 and it handles it very well so far.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well since we are all here... How big? Currently I have 1325 folders with 24170 files in foobar2000 and it handles it very well so far.
69,668 Files, 4,949 Folders of audio. I haven't tried foobar, but that doesn't seem like the same sort of interface.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts