Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into getting an AT screen for awhile now, and I see that quite a few companies are coming out with "4k" screens, that have smaller perforations or tighter weaves. I was just wondering if anyone has tried the Seymour UF screen? or tried a sample of it?

How is the brightness compared to the XD? Is the -2.2db drop going to require more audio treatments to the front wall behind the screen and speakers?

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
I've been looking into getting an AT screen for awhile now, and I see that quite a few companies are coming out with "4k" screens, that have smaller perforations or tighter weaves. I was just wondering if anyone has tried the Seymour UF screen? or tried a sample of it?

How is the brightness compared to the XD? Is the -2.2db drop going to require more audio treatments to the front wall behind the screen and speakers?
I originally had them send me UF, and XD samples and i picked the XD... As I recall the XD screen looked like it wasn't as stretchable and I think it looked a little better to me. Sorry, but it has been over 6 months since I compared the 2. I am very happy with the XD screen material. The XD is also a 4k screen as far as I know.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'm worried about having a moire pattern, or losing detail if I eventually go with a 4k projector. Has anyone seen comparison of perforated/weave screen types? Each manufacturer says that their method is the best but I didn't know what the benefits or drawbacks are of one vs the other.

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
I can't say anything about 4k, but I can tell you I have no Moire problem at all. :T

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
When i made my screen, I also got samples of the XD and 4K material..
I personally preferred the XD over the 4K..The XD looked brighter to me and sitting at 9'6" from the screen, I don't have any moire problems..
I think the 4K would work well if you have a high lumen projector..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How manys lumens is your projector rated at? I figure I'll probably end up with a projector in the 2000 to 2500 range. Also do you have a backing on your screen? I'm not sure what the benefit of a screen backing is.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
My Mits. projector is rated at 1300 lumens..I'm projecting from 10' onto a 106" 2.39:1 screen.
I don't use any backing..I don't see any point to it if your front wall is covered with black acoustic insulation..
A 2000 - 2500 lumen projector is very bright, but it's the fL.value at the screen that will determine how bright the image will be..That will depend on what size screen you're planning to use..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok that sounds good, I'm looking at getting an Epson Pro 6030UB which is rated at 2400 lumens, but I'm not sure if that's an accurate measurement or not. I'll have to find a good fL calculator and play around with my theater design to see if its going to work.
If a projector is too bright, is there usually an adjustment to lower the bulb brightness?

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
ok that sounds good, I'm looking at getting an Epson Pro 6030UB which is rated at 2400 lumens, but I'm not sure if that's an accurate measurement or not. I'll have to find a good fL calculator and play around with my theater design to see if its going to work.
If a projector is too bright, is there usually an adjustment to lower the bulb brightness?
There is usually an ECO mode in my experience.:T

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Are you going to calibrate the projector?

·
Registered
868 Posts
The Epson is rated at 2400 lumens, as you say. However, keep in mind that is max output, with no regard for proper calibration and accurate color.

Over at projectorreviews.com, you can read the review of the 5030UB which, as you may know, is identical in performance to the 6030. They used the Cinema mode and calibrated the projector, and ended up with 644 lumens in high lamp mode, with the projector at mid-zoom. Subtract 30% for telephoto (projector as far back as it can be), and add 28% for full zoom in (as close to the screen as it can be). Subtract 25% - 30% for eco lamp mode.

They also did a "compromise" calibration of the Dynamic mode. This mode is very strong in greens. The goal was to make the picture watchable while maintaining as much brightness as possible. So they calibrated enough green out of it to make the picture a lot better without taking away too much brightness. The intent was to use this mode with some ambient light, for sports viewing and such. The result was 1487 lumens (again, projector at mid-zoom and in high lamp mode).

Just something to consider. The real gain on the CenterStage UF is well below 1.0 (I think around 0.8 IIRC). The CenterStage XD is right around 1.0. So, assuming a 100" 16:9 screen, with 644 lumens from the projector, you're looking at about 21 ftL from the XD screen and about 17 ftL with the UF screen. That's usually considered plenty bright for a light-controlled room.

How big are you looking to go?

·
Registered
55 Posts
You should get samples of both. The XD is definitely not 4k. I can see the texture at around 8 feet or so. I can't see any texture with the Enlightor 4k material. I haven't seen the UF yet.

I have been in a couple of theaters with XD and the texture isn't that noticeable while watching. I think one gets used to it. The difference would probably be noticeable if you put the samples on the wall.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 5040ub and obtained both the XD & UF samples from Jon @ Seymour. The UF is a more flexible/stretchable material which might be good for a fixed frame but my screen is a motorized one so the only option for me was the XD which has a higher gain than the UF. Falcon also makes a good DIY fabric at a slightly lower price than the XD. I think the Falcon was a bit tighter weave than the XD but more open than the UF so you may want to get a sample of each like I did.

In the end I decided to buy a finished screen rather than DIY this time as I found a deal on a 120" Elite Screen that I will be installing next week

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts