Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

181 - 200 of 947 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all,

Purchased the 972 a couple of weeks ago from A4L. I've been getting picture blackouts periodically - seemed to noticed it more on 1080i blu-rays. Sometimes, when the picture comes back on, it shows up in 480p mode. It's disconcerting. How do I read the numbers on the display so I know which firmware I have? I also set the video mode to bypass, but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. I do notice that the red LED for video scaling is always on. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all,

Purchased the 972 a couple of weeks ago from A4L. I've been getting picture blackouts periodically - seemed to noticed it more on 1080i blu-rays. Sometimes, when the picture comes back on, it shows up in 480p mode. It's disconcerting. How do I read the numbers on the display so I know which firmware I have? I also set the video mode to bypass, but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. I do notice that the red LED for video scaling is always on. Thanks for any help.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/55399-sherwood-newcastle-r-972-official-thread-10.html#post503146

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm really not sure what's the latest available version. If your version is 1.47i, then I believe it dates from 8/12/2010 based on what was said here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/55399-sherwood-newcastle-r-972-official-thread-13.html#post506383

I found this firmware here:

http://wayback.archive.org/web/query?q=type:urlquery+requestexactscheme:yes+url:http://sherwoodusa.com/site/service/manual/R-972%201.47.zip&count=40000&start_page=1

So it seems quite old. I would have thought they had fixed some things since then. Apparently, there is a version 1.47v, but I haven't found any detail on what date it was released. It was mentioned here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=21670563&postcount=1026

There was some mention in another forum of a 1.48 version that caused other problems, so the advice was to not install it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks, I'll check it out. Assuming it is the latest version, since I bought it just a few day ago NIB from A4L Still wondering if there is a solution to these black outs. I am using a Samsung CP5500 blu-ray player and an Optoma HD20 projector. My old receiver was a HK 254 which had HDMI 1.3.
Could you please report back what your version is so we can begin to get an idea what versions have what problems? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Just for everyone's info I just checked and I have firmware version 1.47I
It would be interesting to see what others have?

To see your version when receiver is off push Display and Memo/Enter buttons together.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Just for everyone's info I just checked and I have firmware version 1.47I
It would be interesting to see what others have?

To see your version when receiver is off push Display and Memo/Enter buttons together.
HUGE thump when I did this. Made me fear for my speakers and subs, hurt my ears.

Reads 1.47I.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Now that you mention the "thump" I also had that but not so bad that it worried me. I wonder if it matters where the volume last was?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Ok, last night I was ripping the audio off of a music DVD I have onto my PC. I had the 972 on and the video playing through it to my Sony 40" LCD.
I had the audio to my PC connected directly to the analog outputs of the BluRay player and during one of the songs my video and audio dropped out for about 5 seconds and came back. The audio from the BluRay player did not as my recording was fine so the 972 definitely has issues with some sort of Handshake.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Could you please report back what your version is so we can begin to get an idea what versions have what problems? Thanks.
Checked the firmware. Got the thump when doing that like another poster mentioned. I have the 1.47I version. I switched the blu-ray player to a Panasonic BP87 from my Samsung 5500. Seems to be behaving a bit better, with quicker HDMI syncing. I need to get the Three Musketeers disc from Redbox that seemed to have the most issues.

Another question - is the onscreen menu supposed to be in 480P? It seems to take a while to load up and sometimes the screen stays blank.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Another question - is the onscreen menu supposed to be in 480P? It seems to take a while to load up and sometimes the screen stays blank.
Yup, thats fairly normal with the OSD of most receivers. Have not had it stay blank for me yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm willing to accept that there is no good firmware version later than 1.47i. I guess we can quit looking for 1.47v, since I currently believe that was just a rumor. Thanks for the help with the firmware versions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here are a couple of replys from someone representing Sherwood. The original email to Jin (who has apparently left) got rerouted to a Ray Casillas at RMC Sales.

About the 3db and 6db sub boost file:
"A new version of Trinnov 3dB and 6 dB is currently being tested and should be ready with in the next couple of weeks at which time will will have an announcement on the website."

About the HDMI syncing issues:
"I am researching that and from what I am being told is that all new updates will be posted on the website."

·
Registered
733 Posts
I would love to believe that they are going to fix some of the very annoying problems with this receiver but considering that 1.47I is from 2010 I am not getting my hopes up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can you list the problems that you find very annoying? I'm still trying to decide whether to buy this thing or not. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I'm trying to figure out if I can live with it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Can you list the problems that you find very annoying? I'm still trying to decide whether to buy this thing or not. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I'm trying to figure out if I can live with it.
The receiver seems to have problems when the audio or video format changes so if you are watching TV and one commercial is dolby digital and the next is not, the audio cuts out for about 4 seconds, this same thing happens when going through the different menus on a movie.
I am also having a problem when watching recorded tv shows, once the show is over and I return back to live TV sometimes (not always) the video blanks out and the only way to get it back is to change the video input (say from video 3 to video 2 then go back to video 3) and the picture will reappear.
These seem like they would be simple to fix with a firmware update but the fact that the product was released like this and has not been fixed makes me believe that they are either not fixable or Sherwood lacks the technical skills to solve these problems.
These problems would not be acceptable in a $300 receiver let alone a $1,800 flagship receiver.

Having said that I am trying to decide if I want to keep it and just live with the problems or return it and take the loss on shipping (I would be out close to $100, more if they charge a restocking fee) I think this would be a perfect receiver for a home theater that was only used to watch movies on, which I hope to have someday soon.
I will say that the receiver is very well made (thought not nearly as heavy as my Onkyo 805) audio quality is excellent and the trinnov system really is amazing. I just watched MI Ghost Protocol last night and was blown away by the sound.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
These are my issues:
1) The remote control is all but useless in the dark and the layout is very poorly done. I use my Harmony 880 instead.
2) The button layout on the front panel is a bid odd and not in the traditional format.
3) As mentioned above it has issues with the handshake and sometimes drops out when resolutions change.
4) You cant edit the Trinnov settings once run without bypassing it completely and doing it manually defeating the purpose of having Trinnov.
5) the jack for the trinnov mic is on the back of the receiver making it difficult to plug in and unplug.

Dont get me wrong, this receiver sounds fantastic and once you get used to it it is very easy to navigate and use. Im keeping mine for my livingroom system and my 805 will remain as my Theater system

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
These are my issues:
1) The remote control is all but useless in the dark and the layout is very poorly done. I use my Harmony 880 instead.
2) The button layout on the front panel is a bid odd and not in the traditional format.
3) As mentioned above it has issues with the handshake and sometimes drops out when resolutions change.
4) You cant edit the Trinnov settings once run without bypassing it completely and doing it manually defeating the purpose of having Trinnov.
5) the jack for the trinnov mic is on the back of the receiver making it difficult to plug in and unplug.

Dont get me wrong, this receiver sounds fantastic and once you get used to it it is very easy to navigate and use. Im keeping mine for my livingroom system and my 805 will remain as my Theater system
Spot on with Tony's assessment - I too am using it in my living room system. Unfortunately, I do not have a Harmony remote and have to live with the Sherwood one.... :sad:

181 - 200 of 947 Posts