Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

201 - 220 of 947 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
and just to add to this, I agree with everyone else that the remote is rather horrible but I use a harmony so that was not an issue.
I just listed the issues that I had with it that have me thinking that I might return it, things that annoy me every single time I use it. Everything else to me is minor and can be overlooked, replaced (remote) or is not used often enough to make me not want the receiver (mic jack placement)

·
Registered
17 Posts
and just to add to this, I agree with everyone else that the remote is rather horrible but I use a harmony so that was not an issue.
I just listed the issues that I had with it that have me thinking that I might return it, things that annoy me every single time I use it. Everything else to me is minor and can be overlooked, replaced (remote) or is not used often enough to make me not want the receiver (mic jack placement)
And that is the spirit in which I meant the question. While I appreciate the rest of the answers, I'm mainly interesting in things that annoy every time you use it. The remote isn't really an issue because I'm kind of addicted to the JP1 remotes. That's why I needed the discrete IR remote codes. I'm sure they're not as easy to program as the Harmony remotes, but they're cheap and flexible. I guess I'm between the R-972 and the Onkyo TX-NR809, although I could wait for the TX-NR818. I guess I could look at the Denon 1712, but I like the fatter amplifiers of the other receivers. I'm still deciding...

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Well, I have both the 809 and the 972. Of the two, I prefer the 809 as it is 1.4 compatible, has a network connection, and I dont have any of those issues that have been previously discussed.

However, trinnov seems to be able to handle the dynamics of my living room with it's vaulted ceiling and open floor plan better than Audessey does as the Sherwood seems to provide better sound.

If it were me, I would wait to see how the 818 measures out - XT32 (from other comments) sounds like it is worth the wait........

·
Registered
17 Posts
These are my issues:
1) The remote control is all but useless in the dark and the layout is very poorly done. I use my Harmony 880 instead.
2) The button layout on the front panel is a bid odd and not in the traditional format.
3) As mentioned above it has issues with the handshake and sometimes drops out when resolutions change.
4) You cant edit the Trinnov settings once run without bypassing it completely and doing it manually defeating the purpose of having Trinnov.
5) the jack for the trinnov mic is on the back of the receiver making it difficult to plug in and unplug.

Dont get me wrong, this receiver sounds fantastic and once you get used to it it is very easy to navigate and use. Im keeping mine for my livingroom system and my 805 will remain as my Theater system
From what I've read tweaking settings post Trinnov will defeat it's purpose, so that is not a feature. From your list I would only hold #3 against this receiver for the price it is selling for now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got the Onkyo 709 and set up Audessey on it in Music mode. Alas, I am underwhelmed with the sound when compared to the R972 with Trinnov. I have a feeling the pre amp section in the 972 is also just plain better. Not sure if there are any good settings for the 709 that I should be targeting to improve the sound. Now I am not so sure about sending the 972 back. If the HDMI sync improves with my new blu-ray player, that might help the cause.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Did you run Audessey correctly, meaning putting the mic at ear level on a tripod and measuring at least 4 positions? Dont use any of the music modes, run it in stereo to get a better idea what it will sound like.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you run Audessey correctly, meaning putting the mic at ear level on a tripod and measuring at least 4 positions? Dont use any of the music modes, run it in stereo to get a better idea what it will sound like.
I put the mic on tripod at ear level in my sitting position like I have done with Trinnov. I did not move the mic for each of the four positions, since I rarely move from that position. Should I still move the mic in that case? I'll try stereo this evening and see what happens. To me the sound did not seem as airy, clear and seamless across my speakers like the 972.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
kriskk said:
I put the mic on tripod at ear level in my sitting position like I have done with Trinnov. I did not move the mic for each of the four positions, since I rarely move from that position. Should I still move the mic in that case? I'll try stereo this evening and see what happens. To me the sound did not seem as airy, clear and seamless across my speakers like the 972.
Yes, you want to measure as many positions as allowed. Part of what it's doing is getting a reading of your room. Think of it as mapping your room. I also only have 2 main listening positions but when the kids or guests come over sometimes more. I would do the full 8 positions if I were you.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Agreed^^

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, you want to measure as many positions as allowed. Part of what it's doing is getting a reading of your room. Think of it as mapping your room. I also only have 2 main listening positions but when the kids or guests come over sometimes more. I would do the full 8 positions if I were you.
Ok, I will try that. Will spend some quality time this weekend to tweak. Thanks.

Has anyone tried 3D movies with the 972? Do they work?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
It will pass 3D but at a lower resolution. Its better to run the HDMI directly to the display for 3D

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
no, HDMI is the only way to get DTS MA or Dolby TruHD. You will need a HDMI splitter or a BluRay player that has two HDMI outputs.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
All 972's from AC4L will have 1.47 as Mark purchased S/N's remaining stock which were the newest.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For those of you that have Bluray handshake issues, try using the HDMI1 connection.

I participate on a couple of R972 threads on another forum (a former Sherwood rep participates, as well as a Trinnov rep who's notes have been referenced here on HTS), and that has seem to do the trick with HDMI issues and BluRay players. Incidentally, I use a Oppo BDP-83, and it worked for me.

I use a FiOS HD DVR on HDMI1 with no issues except for sync'ing the sound codec during some channel changes and commercial breaks...really depends on what is happening with the codec stream, and can be a 2-3 sec delay.

The notes that have been referenced are excellent, and the Trinnov rep is constantly adding to it.

Sherwood has been known to have a pretty good pre/amp section, it holds true with the R-972 (I use external amps). I had a P-965 for a long time, and needed to get on HDMI. I almost went with an Onkyo pre/pro, but this deal came up and I am glad I took the gamble. The unit has its quirks, but none of them have bitten me....or been annoying.

I am VERY pleased with its sound capabilities, Trinnov EQ is very nice, but it is the spatial correction that I think sets it apart. I would not openly recommend the unit because if its quirks/issues...but the cohesiveness of the soundstage/surrounds is pretty amazing.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Glad you could join us, cschang!

Most folks are using this for video/surround. I bought the R-972 to kick off my first foray into surround, but am primarily interested in 2.1 performance. Others have stated that the Newcastle does well with stereo. I would value your opinion on the matter, how do you feel the R-972 and Trinnov do with 2 channel music?

I have not run Trinnov yet, will do so tomorrow. Soon, I want to run REW before/after Trinnov, just for fun.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Hey cschang, welcome aboard!

It would be great to have your input on this and other topics here at the Shack.
I use my 972 for 2.1 channel duty and so far love the sound.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glad you could join us, cschang!

Most folks are using this for video/surround. I bought the R-972 to kick off my first foray into surround, but am primarily interested in 2.1 performance. Others have stated that the Newcastle does well with stereo. I would value your opinion on the matter, how do you feel the R-972 and Trinnov do with 2 channel music?

I have not run Trinnov yet, will do so tomorrow. Soon, I want to run REW before/after Trinnov, just for fun.
Hey cschang, welcome aboard!

It would be great to have your input on this and other topics here at the Shack.
I use my 972 for 2.1 channel duty and so far love the sound.
Thanks guys..

For 2 channel music I think it does great.

I'm sure it is elsewhere in thread, but what the Trinnov spatial correction attempts to do is correct for proper placement of the speakers to match ITU and cinema standards. This means, for music, is to have the L/R channels 23 degrees off of center. My speakers are already close, but with Trinnov on, some information is still coming from my surrounds, so it creates a more enveloping soundstage...not unlike Dolby PL2 Music(but not the same). I like it, but the down side is that because it is pulling information and redistributing it behind me, it loses a bit of direct treble energy as if it was coming from in front of me.

These are the angles Trinnov tries to reproduce...

Front
ITU = 23(+/- deg), cinema = 30(+/- deg), and of course, center = 0.

Surrounds and backs
5.1 ITU = 110 (+/- deg), 5.1 cinema = 135, 6.1 cinema = 135 & 180. 7.1 cinema = 110, 150. ITU/music back angle is most critical of the bunch, as a specific speaker location is used in all ITU mixes. Cinema is not as critical, as it's expected there may be multiple surrounds.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Ran Trinnov today. It sounded a quite thin, so I played with the settings a bit. Settled on:

EQ - Flat
Spatial Mode - None
Remapping - None

Sounds nice and full this way, with more bass. While the timbre is off what I am used to hearing, there is greater clarity.

One big problem I did not have before. Cranking up music near 0 dB causes the Sherwood to distort it's output to the mains and the sub amp greatly,with all speakers put out a horrible humming sound. If I am clipping the Sherwood's amp (unlikely, my mains are extraordinarily efficient), it should go into protection, not distort. I don't ordinarily listen at this level, just messing around.

Anybody else have this problem?

201 - 220 of 947 Posts