Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 947 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 impressions

No, it did not. All in all, a rather frustrating day as I am struggling with the screen wall design at the moment. Hope to see it tomorrow!

By the way, I did contact several people about an available Acoustimass 10 system. :bigsmile: Let's hope someone is interested!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Thats good you have interest in your Bose speakers. I hope the receiver arrives soon.

·
Registered
95 Posts

I just measured mine and its 20" if you include the power cord as its very ridged and sticks out at least that much before I would even dare to try to bend it. The volume and selector knob stick out of the front another 3/4 of an inch on the front.
What does the actual chassis box measure, front to back? Looks like mine shipped and is due to arrive on the 29th.

It will also be interesting to find out if Sherwood has fixed some of the odd quirks that are present in my other Sherwood R771 & R772 receivers (one powers a bedroom system; the other my wife's living room system w/47" LG). When switching between sources, there is the screwy flashing and clicking as the receiver switches and locks on. The manuals are terrible. The other thing that throws me is SN's odd way of organizing the various source settings on the front panel (into video and audio); much different than Marantz.

I wonder if they sold out of them. On their eBay posting, it said they were down to one unit.

Jim

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts

Wow - who knew Fed Ex delivered at 8:30AM on a Saturday! The Sherwood is here - too bad I have basketball games for the boys most of the day and really will not get a chance to do anything with it until Monday.

Boy, is it a heavy box! :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

What does the actual chassis box measure, front to back?
just the chassis is just over 17" deep

It will also be interesting to find out if Sherwood has fixed some of the odd quirks that are present in my other Sherwood R771 & R772 receivers (one powers a bedroom system; the other my wife's living room system w/47" LG). When switching between sources, there is the screwy flashing and clicking as the receiver switches and locks on. The manuals are terrible.
I agree the manual is not very informative and the button layout is a bit strange. As jack already mentioned the remote is useless in a poorly lit room as well. So far I havent done much with the video side of it but it seems to function very well without any glitches that I have found. They shipped these units with the new firmware that fixes the bugs in earlier units and also upgrades it to HDMI1.4

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Wow - who knew Fed Ex delivered at 8:30AM on a Saturday! The Sherwood is here - too bad I have basketball games for the boys most of the day and really will not get a chance to do anything with it until Monday.

Boy, is it a heavy box! :bigsmile:
Oh, this is going to be a hard day to get through knowing it sitting at home.

·
Registered
95 Posts

just the chassis is just over 17" deep

I agree the manual is not very informative and the button layout is a bit strange. As jack already mentioned the remote is useless in a poorly lit room as well. So far I havent done much with the video side of it but it seems to function very well without any glitches that I have found. They shipped these units with the new firmware that fixes the bugs in earlier units and also upgrades it to HDMI1.4
Thanks so much for the info. My currrent Marantz SR 7300 is 16-5/8" deep, so I'm sure the R972 will fit just fine. The weight, however, may be another story. The shelves on my rack/stand are cantilevered a full 16+", so I may have to figure out additional support. Maybe a 1/2" cable, attached to the ceiling ;-)

Owning two Sherwoods already, I am already familiar with no backlit remote...and that's OK because my Marantz remote isn't either, nor are any of my other component remotes, except for the 55" LG TV. Even if they were backlit, I probably wouldn't be able to see the little itty-bitty button labels.

I am seeing that as far as HDMI 1.4 goes, some say it is full 1.4; others say it is still 1.3 with 3D implemented. Any authoritative source on the full 1.4?

I am curious about the date of the firmware and version on the units you guys are receiving. The Sherwood web site's latest firmware downloads aren't all that current. Is there a Mfg. date sticker on the back of the unit?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Accessories4less says HDMI1.4 upgraded however I wonder if you are correct, The firmware is the "latest available" Ive got my receiver in the rack so i dont want to move it to see the date but so far I haven't had any of the strange issues that many older units have displayed.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Accessories4less says HDMI1.4 upgraded however I wonder if you are correct, The firmware is the "latest available" Ive got my receiver in the rack so i dont want to move it to see the date but so far I haven't had any of the strange issues that many older units have displayed.
Well, it DOES say HDMI 1.4 on the A4L web site.

Jim

·
Registered
35 Posts

I don't think its HDMI 1.4 but the sales rep for A4L I e-mailed last weekend said that it can pass 3D & come with latest firmware 1.47v. Is there a way to check firmware in the unit? Jeff Hipps who used to work for Sherwood stated in AVSForum thread that the unit can pass 3D if the videoprocessor is set in bypass mode. I am guessing that it doesn't to HDMI CEC & ARC like true HDMI 1.4 units but only 3D passthrough.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Well, I did the first run through of Trinnov and I am really impressed :)
I spent last night building some speaker cables and I Bi-Amped my speakers. Its sounds great :clap:
Trinnov nailed my speaker capabilities bang on and set the distance correctly, now I have to play with some of the advanced settings that Trinnov allows......but first I need to fold laundry LOL

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts

Hello,
I do not think calling it HDMI 1.4 is accurate. However, it can Passthrough 3D. So it is somewhat similar to the PS3. 3D was the last upgrade S/N did for the 972.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

You didn't fold that shirt properly Tony... :foottap:

Can we see some full range frequency graphs of before and after Trinnov?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

LOL, I will see when I can find time this weekend to do it. I haven't used REW in about 3 years so Im a bit rusty :hide:
I can say that I am very happy with the results compared to what Auddyssey did in the Marantz.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
tonyvdb said:
LOL, I will see when I can find time this weekend to do it. I haven't used REW in about 3 years so Im a bit rusty :hide:
I can say that I am very happy with the results compared to what Auddyssey did in the Marantz.
Just scanning through the thread hear fellas. Is the consensus that Trinnov is a step up from Audyssey?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Is the consensus that Trinnov is a step up from Audyssey?
I think in some ways yes due to its ability to actually measure the room in 3D Audyssey XT And XT32 are still very good but anything less Trinnov is a huge step up.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
tonyvdb said:
I think in some ways yes due to its ability to actually measure the room in 3D Audyssey XT And XT32 are still very good but anything less Trinnov is a huge step up.
It seems this is the first AVR that has offered Trinnov at a price affordable to the average consumer. Pretty amazing technology and that mic looks to be from another planet. :)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)

Trinnov was only available in a stand alone unit that sold for $13,000 so getting it in an AVR for $600 is more than a deal!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

So, maybe someone can tell me what the plastic panel thats on the top left of the receiver seen in this photo is for. Its not covering a hole and its not structural.
Jack and Joe, does yours have it?

21 - 40 of 947 Posts