Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 947 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 impressions

Setup my receiver. Everything sounds great except the bass seems a bit off. Trinnov shows my subs -6bd point at 19hz. Can I increase the gain on the sub amp without throwing off Trinnov EQ for the sub? Wondering where can I obtain those low frequency +3db/+6db files to boost the low end.
Yes, just increase the subs output level on the sub. I sent Sherwood an email so I will let you know what they say about the files once I receive a response.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Thanks Tony. Audyssey allows you to increase sub trim in the setup menu after calibration but specifically warns against increasing sub gain on the sub amp in order to preserve EQ therefore I was not sure if increasing the sub gain at the sub amp will throw off Trinnov EQ for the sub. Looks like Trinnov preserves the sub equalization even if you play with gain on sub amp unlike Audyssey. Hopefully you get some response re the +3db/+6db files from Sherwood.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

Ok, Serwood got back to me and sent me the two HEX files. I will install them this evening and let everyone know the difference it makes.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

Perhaps you can upload them via attachment and allow others to download them.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

I dont want to cause an issue with Sherwood (I kind of get the impression that they dont wont these files floating around) but I can do that if you think thats ok?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

Its ok I can try and hopefully I dont cause trouble.

Please open the attached zip file and uncompress. Please copy all of the factory.hex files to USB drive root position. (ex. E:\factory.hex)
To update this firmware, turn ON the 972 and wait for relay click. Once you hear the relay click, change the input to USB. When NO DEVICE displayed, please insert the USB drive to the front USB slot.

Update will automatically start.

After finished, please reset the receiver by following the attached instruction.

To successfully reset, you need to start with the unit in the Standby Mode. To put
the unit in the standby mode simply press the standby button when the unit is On or unplug the
power cord from 120V AC and then plug it back in. Once in Standby Mode, press and hold
down the STANDBY & MEMO/ENTER buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds. This
will reset the unit and it will turn on automatically. If the reset was successful, you should notice
that the receiver powers up at 87.5 FM . If not, repeat the reset process

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
A few things. I went ahead and changed the title from "First Impressions" to the Official Thread as this is really what this Thread is taking shape of being. Also, I too got the Hex Files and I do not think there is any issue to posting a link for them.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Thanks Jack :T

Does anyone think changing the original (.rar) file to a (.zip) will affect the file in any way? I had to uncomperss the .rar file and then recompress it to a .zip in order to upload it here.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Jack et al,
How do you rate the Sherwood R972 vs. the Onkyo 3008. Mainly comparison of the amplifier section and EQ capabilities (Audyssey XT32 vs. Trinnov). Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
XT32 is better for the sub channel if you have 2 subs however my thoughts are that because Trinnov measures the room in 3D it may have better results on the mains. Over all I think XT32 and even XT is very similar and not worth changing to Trinnov

·
Registered
83 Posts
I should be getting my 972 tomorrow, I'll follow up soon with my impressions. I've personally owned setup measured with mcacc, ypao, xt, xt32 and now i'll have trinnov. I could even measure with rew and plot some graphs of xt32 and trinnov using my cross spectrum calibrated mic.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Hi Jack, now that you have played with your 972 what are your thoughts? I am having issues with REW so my readings are wrong. I am sure its my soundcard cal file thats not working right.

Have you tried your Hex files yet?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Jack et al,
How do you rate the Sherwood R972 vs. the Onkyo 3008. Mainly comparison of the amplifier section and EQ capabilities (Audyssey XT32 vs. Trinnov). Thanks.
Hello,
As I do not use the Amplifiers in AVR's, I cannot give a great deal of insight about the power of them. I will say the 3008 weighs almost 20 pounds more than the 972 and is THX Ultra2 Plus Certified. With this being the case, I would give the nod to the 3008 in terms of Amplification.

As for EQ, Trinnov is truly excellent. I think it is especially good for Rooms with less than ideal Acoustics and or suboptimal Speaker Arrangements. XT32 with SubEQ HT is fantastic as well. Especially if using Dual Subwoofers.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
35 Posts
Uploaded +6db hex file to my receiver. There are no new menu options & after calibration the calculated trim levels are the same as before but music sounds fuller with better bottom end therefore I am assuming that +6db curve was automatically added. Would be interesting to know other users experience with +3db/+6db hex files.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Yes, I also get the same as you. The lower frequencies are richer and it sounds much better. I also did not get any new menu options so I am assuming that it adds the curve to all settings evenly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My apologies for posting this question here, but I figure I have a lot of Sherwood Newcastle owners here that might give me a wider audience than if I posted in a separate thread.

Recently purchased a new R-772; already have a R-771 and a new R-972 on the way!

When setting up the R-772, I am experiencing a strange anomaly:

When I route my HDMI source (Dish Network #622 DVR) into the HDMI #1 input, the 772 locks onto Dolby Digital 5.1 mode (which is what I want it to do).

However, when I route the DVR HDMI directly into the TV and use the TV's optical out, routed into the #1 optical in on the 772, it won't lock onto the DD 5.1 mode; best I get is Dolby Prologic modes, which don't sound as good as pure DD 5.1.

Any idea what is going on here? I really want to set up the 772 using the optical mode for the audio source.

Jim

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Are you certian that you have the DVR outputting Surround Or Bitstream If its in stereo that could be why its only giving you Dolby Pro Logic.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I am wondering if the hex file raises only the trim level for sub channel or all channels?
I seem to think it applies a curve to everything below 200Hz

61 - 80 of 947 Posts