Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 947 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Are you certian that you have the DVR outputting Surround Or Bitstream If its in stereo that could be why its only giving you Dolby Pro Logic.
I'll check, but it must be because I get DD 5.1 when I run the HDMI directly into the receiver's HDMI #1 input.

Edit: Yes, it is set to output DD/PCM.

Like I say, when I run the DVR's HDMI cable (same one as above) to the TV, and use the TV's optical out into the 772, all I can get is DD pro logic (and a bunch of Neo, stereo, Effects, etc.) Just so strange. I suppose I can buy a splitter and run one branch to the TV and one into the 772. The real cause of all this is that the 772 doesn't allow HDMI pass thru, so I can't operate TV w/o receiver on. Also, if I hook it up w/HDMI directly into the 772, I get the DD 5.1 I want, but no sound output to the TV; must have the 772 on all the time. If I turn the HDMI to send sound out, then the TV has sound, but this cuts off all the speakers connected to the 772. Nice, huh? This is all to accomodate the Wifey.

Jim

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Oh, Ok I understand. If your going back out from the TV to the receiver you will only get 2.1 sound as that is a restriction put on the manufacturers by the "powers that be"

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh, Ok I understand. If your going back out from the TV to the receiver you will only get 2.1 sound as that is a restriction put on the manufacturers by the "powers that be"
Am sending inquiry to LG on this issue.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...well, at least that would make sense out of what I'm experiencing. The TV manual implies DD 5.1, but doesn't actually say it is ("if you want to listen to an audio source thru a 5.1 system...use the TV's audio out"). On the other hand, my LG TV downstairs (different model than the Wife's LG) outputs a DD 5.1 signal from its optical audio out to the optical in on my Marantz SR 7300, and does DD 5.1 just fine (this was only after hacking into the service menu and switching AC3 on). It looks like running the little splitter would solve the problem:

DVR HDMI/out into the splitter.
One branch of splitter directly into TV (maintains picture and TV sound). No need to turn on 772 to just watch TV.
Other branch of splitter into HDMI#1/in on 772. Will output DD 5.1 to speakers and show video on TV screen.

All the Wife has to do is turn on the 772 or switch TV HDMI inputs to watch DVD.

We'll see what happens on the R-992 when it comes tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
If your using the TVs built in tuner then you will get 5.1 output but if your sending a signal from another source to the TV then back to the receiver it is restricted to 2.1 only.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If your using the TVs built in tuner then you will get 5.1 output but if your sending a signal from another source to the TV then back to the receiver it is restricted to 2.1 only.
OK...I'm assuming since the only input to the TV is from the Dish #622, then all I'm getting is 2.1. That still doesn't account for the fact that the HDMI in on the 772 passes the DD 5.1 signal.

My head hurts.

Jim

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
That still doesn't account for the fact that the HDMI in on the 772 passes the DD 5.1 signal.
But thats because your using HDMI from the 772 your not going through the TV first. Only TVs are restricted not receivers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
972 has sold out on a4l thanks to us

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I wonder how many were purchased by Shack members?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I definitely think we were out ahead of purchasing them. Compared to even larger AV Forums. Just an awesome deal. 3 Year Warranty, $1200 off MSRP, Trinnov, Reon, Preamp Outputs, and a solid Amplifier Stage. I hope Mark gets more 972's, but I am not sure if AC4L will be able to.
Cheers,
J

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anyone know how to display the firmware level on the 972? I'm having some issues with HDMI handshake when I change channels on my cable box where the resolution changes, - i'll get snow. I have the upscale set to bypass and tried configuring the video and audio from auto to hdmi and vice versa. I've periodically has issues in the past with some avr's and my display but the 3008 has been the best so far, it always sync's up and I get picture. Its particularly bad with the 972. The audio delay is bad enough but tolerable, I almost don't mind the clicking now fromt he 3008. Its so fast, I'm a channel surfer. I'm not sure I could use it if I can't resolve this hdmi sync. It sounds totally different than audyssey, I just got it all setup last night, so I need some more time with it before I report on the sound. Anyone experience video issues?

·
Registered
95 Posts
But thats because your using HDMI from the 772 your not going through the TV first. Only TVs are restricted not receivers.
Victory! I figured perhaps the Wife's LG (47LD650) had the same service menu settings as my new LG 55LW5600 downstairs. On that one, I also got just a stereo signal out of the optical out, but had hacked the service menu to "start" the AC3 signal. On a hunch, I used the same procedure to hack into the LD650's service menu and found the same setting. I started it on AC3, and it now outputs DD 5.1 from the optical output. So now the wife can watch the TV alone, with internal TV sound, or she can turn on the R-772, mute the TV sound, and listen in glorius Dolby Digital 5.1.

Now perhaps she won't kill me when she discovers the new R-972 in my system (although I'm sure she won't soon notice a new black box...perhaps forever).

Waiting for the Fed-Ex dude to show up....

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called a 714 area code number that I got when I called their number in the Yellow Pages; they are working on their website

·
Registered
23 Posts
Their site is up now.

By the way, what's their latest firmware? 1.47v or 1.47i? I think I read about both version nos.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Yup, its a monster for size only my Carver receiver 6250 was even close to this in size. Looking forward to your impressions Jim.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
All of the AC4L 972's have the 1.47 FW. There is a way to check that yourself, but the process is eluding me.
I will find out how to do it again, but for sure if yours is from AC4L it is the most current FW. Really sorry you are having Handshaking Issues. Do note the slight pause when switching Inputs is normal.
Cheers,
J

·
Registered
83 Posts
I found you can display firmware level by having the unit off in standby, then press and hold Display and Enter/Memo buttons, you can use the left dial to scroll through the levels. Who has 1.47v? The latest seems to be a 1.47i 08/12/2010 version.

I'm working on the handshake, seems the delay is a little quicker when I turned the Trinnov Spatial to none. It stinks the when I dim the display it doesn't remember when I turn the unit off and back on.

81 - 100 of 947 Posts