Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 949 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Got the 972 installed and everything seems to work OK. Initial problems w/no sound from DVD player, but found I had the audio output turned off in the setup of the player. Will try the Trinnov soon.

Update: Went a round with the Trinnov, then listened to "Master and Commander" on BluRay. Wow! I really like what this did to my surrounds...puts me right in the middle of the action. Much more airy and open sound. Played some tunes, too. Highs MUCH more open. Tom Petty's 12 string Rickenbacher on, "I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better," is glorius! Was able to play tunes in both stereo and Dolby Pro Logic, but now just getting stereo. Any ideas?

Jim

·
Registered
83 Posts
False alarm. It appears the HDMI is more sensitive. I swapped out my SA 8300 DVR and the channels lock right in during resolution changes no snow now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Initial measurement position 1 using rew and a calibrated mic from the listening position spatial was none and remapping none. Red is without room eq at none and blue is with it on Flat.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Problems....
Anyone have a situation where one of your speakers does not show up during Trinnov calibration?

Clarification: the speaker (rt front) shows up, but registers zilch after calibration.

Help!!!

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Jim,
That is a new one for me and I use Electrostats which are pretty unconventional. I will try to find out more about this and hopefully someone else here might have come across this.
J

·
Registered
95 Posts
More to the story:

I use DT BP 2002 bipolar speakers. A call to Sherwood support (Jin) asked if I used Bi-polar speakers. Apparently there have been some problems with this type of speaker. I moved a piece of wifey's furniture and swapped speakers (subs now face inward), and finally managed to get a setup. My support call also revealed a possible firmware problem where you cannot manually delete the sub.
Tried several more times to get a setup, and now BOTH fronts seem to be missing. Jin said to keep moving the cal mic around and see what happens. He says he'll be back to me next week after the factory further investigates the sub issue. That issue is neither here nor there for me, but will keep trying to obtain another Trinnov calibration. At least I have ONE now.

How do you "lock" the setups so they can't be deleted?

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The Calibrations are locked in after doing them and you have access to 3 different ones. Each one is locked in unless you run another calibration. As for Firmware, if you got yours from AC4L, it has the 1.47 Firmware which is the latest.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello,
The Calibrations are locked in after doing them and you have access to 3 different ones. Each one is locked in unless you run another calibration. As for Firmware, if you got yours from AC4L, it has the 1.47 Firmware which is the latest.
OK, thanks. On the firmware, I think Jin meant that if the problem with the subwoofer item is confirmed, they will issue another update.

Update: I moved the Trinnov mic forward a couple feet and managed to get another good calibration. So, apparently either Trinnov doesn't like my room OR the Def Tech bi-polars are causing a problem. I read somewhere that someone has Def Tech BP 3000 fronts that have worked OK.

Jim

·
Registered
95 Posts
After several more hours of playing around with the Trinnov calibration system, it now appears now that my right front speaker was in some sort of twilight zone, where Trinnov could not "see" it correctly. After trying several other mic placements, I was able to get a distance recognition for that speaker, but both angle settings were zilch. So, I tried "toeing in" (ratherly severely @ 30 degrees) the right front speaker, and that seemed to do it! Getting good readings now. So, if any of you run into this sort of problem, you might try fooling with speaker placement as a solution.

I'm really impressed with this receiver and happy I don't have a faulty unit.

Jim

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
Ok finally had time to get REW to work correctly, ended up being an incorrect cable I was using.

Red: Without Trinnov

Green: With Trinnov

My living room has hardwood floors and my RPTV vibrates like crazy during the lower frequencies so Im sure that does not help with the readings but you can see it smooths out the room response a bit.

You can see where the Galaxy CM140 really starts to loose its accuracy above 6Khz

Below is the graph with the subwoofer. Trinnov seems to like it at this level, It sounds really good to me.

Now I need to play with the Hex files as the graph above is with the +6db file thats probably why there is such a big boost on the sub. Frankly I like it because I tend to listen to my music at lower levels and the boost helps it still sound full.

I also got rid of my lousy Yamaha sub and moved the extra A/D/S sub I had from the theater room for the time being as it is way better quality.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
After several more hours of playing around with the Trinnov calibration system, it now appears now that my right front speaker was in some sort of twilight zone, where Trinnov could not "see" it correctly. After trying several other mic placements, I was able to get a distance recognition for that speaker, but both angle settings were zilch. So, I tried "toeing in" (ratherly severely @ 30 degrees) the right front speaker, and that seemed to do it! Getting good readings now. So, if any of you run into this sort of problem, you might try fooling with speaker placement as a solution.

I'm really impressed with this receiver and happy I don't have a faulty unit.

Jim
Thanks for the tip Jim - glad to hear you got it figured out! :T
Ok finally had time to get REW to work correctly, ended up being an incorrect cable I was using.

Red: Without Trinnov

Green: With Trinnov

My living room has hardwood floors and my RPTV vibrates like crazy during the lower frequencies so Im sure that does not help with the readings but you can see it smooths out the room response a bit.

You can see where the Galaxy CM140 really starts to loose its accuracy above 6Khz

Below is the graph with the subwoofer. Trinnov seems to like it at this level, It sounds really good to me.

Now I need to play with the Hex files as the graph above is with the +6db file thats probably why there is such a big boost on the sub. Frankly I like it because I tend to listen to my music at lower levels and the boost helps it still sound full.
Wow - that looks pretty good Tony - thanks for taking the time to post your results. :T

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Thanks Joe, I was getting really frustrated with the strange readings I was getting so I tried it on my desktop and got the exact same bad readings so I knew it had to be my cables.
Its interesting to see how close to flat it got the readings after running Trinnov. That null at 50Hz (without sub) must be the correction its applying to the sub because it disappears once the sub is turned on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
SherwoodUSA has an updated website and they have removed the R-972 from it. There is a new model R-977 there now. May be that's the reason on R-972 sale?

Anyway, A4L now has R-972 back in stock. Get it while it lasts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep. But if they had Trinnov, they would sure like to advertize it as one of their big feature. Looks like its their own speaker setup solution that they used on other models.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I think that Trinnov licensing is very costly, the 972 may very well be the only receiver to ever use it.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I find this statement interesting:

Multiple subs:
Trinnov finds the acoustical center, level, and response of multiple subs and compensates for that. Multiple subs are typically used to smooth out room modes. If you use multiple subs, start with equal level on each. Room mode nulls can result in very dramatic level swings as high up as 200Hz. As a result, it can be very effective to counteract the modes from a main large sub with a smaller sub of limited capacity ideally placed, set to a lower level. We use measurements to find this; you can do it by listening.

Kind of goes against what some have been saying that using the same subs in a room not different ones.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
This great deal from our friends at Accessories4less almost got me to give up my Denon, until I saw the HT Labs bench test results. I've seen a lot of interesting conversation on the Trinnov Optimizer but not much about the rest of it. How does this unit handle say, 4 Ohms, 84dB (2.83V @ 1 Meter) speakers at reference levels?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Hi Mark, My Missions are 4ohm and 87db efficient and it handles them just fine without any heat issues. Ive run them loud (at least 80db) for an hour without issues. Personally I think the 972 is very under rated as far as it real power output.

101 - 120 of 949 Posts