Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

161 - 180 of 947 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thanks for the link, I found that site but it is only a sales flyer and not the owners manual,

Sucks that Sherwood pulled it off their main site, is it really that big a deal to keep a few files available for people to download! It's not like this thing is 10 years old, it is 1 generation old!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have a question about installing the bass curves, I have the files I picked the +3db and placed it in the root of my USB drive with no other files on the flash drive followed the instructions as far as turning the receiver on, waiting for the click changing to USB waited for the message and inserted the drive in after which it says UPDATING
This message would flash on for about 10 seconds then blink then flash back on over and over. after about 30 minutes I turned it off figuring that it was not doing anything.

How long should this take?? and did I do something wrong?
As far as I can tell you can only do 1 file at a time even thought the instructions say to copy ALL of the files to the flash drive.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
After the hex file has been installed via USB you must Turn off the receiver and then hold down the STANDBY & MEMO/ENTER buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds. This will reset the receiver to factory. when you power it back on it should default to the tuner. You will then need to re run Trinnov and reset all your labels and other presets you may have changed.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It never says that it is installed, it just continues to say INSTALLING and never finishes. Is there a message for when it is done? how long should it take?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Does anyone know if the owners manual is available online? I would like to read through it before I get the receiver but it looks like Sherwood totally dropped support for this thing including the manual :huh:
Also are there any firmware updates available for this receiver?
In case anyone else is looking for the English pdf manual online, I found it.

http://www.prillaman.net/sn2007avr/R-972(A)_ENG_090225.pdf

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
It never says that it is installed, it just continues to say INSTALLING and never finishes. Is there a message for when it is done? how long should it take?
If I remember correctly it just stops reading the flash drive. I dont remember if it said anything on the display.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm considering an R-972, but I need to control it with a JP1 remote. Since Sherwood tech support seems to be down for now (hopefully not forever), I can't get the R-972 ir control codes. Does anyone have this information and could send it to me? Thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If I remember correctly it just stops reading the flash drive. I dont remember if it said anything on the display.
I re-downloaded the files and tried it again, it worked and only took about 30 seconds and I believe it displayed the message completed or finished.
Beyond that I am having a more serious problem with the receiver in that when watching recorded content on my Time warner HD cable box. If I am watching a recorded show and then switch back to live TV the video blanks out, no signal being sent to the TV at all but I continue to hear audio, the only way to get the video back is to change video inputs from Video 3 to a different input then back to Video 3 and the picture is fine.
I have the cable box connected using component video with optical audio and is being output to the TV via HDMI.

My firmware is version 1.47i

any ideas?? I would hate to have to send this thing back over this as I do like the receiver and love the sound from it but this makes watching TV extremely frustrating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My firmware is version 1.47i
Isn't the latest version 1.47v? At least, that's what I've read. I would upgrade before sending it back, although I don't know specifically what has been fixed. You might have trouble getting a response from Sherwood technical support just now. They haven't been responsive since before last week. Curt Hoyt from Trinnov said that he expects them to be more responsive some time this week.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It would make sense that 1.47v is newer than 1.47i. Do you know where to download it from? all I see on the Sherwood site are firmwares for bluray players

·
Registered
17 Posts
No, I don't know where to download it. As far as I know, it's only available from Sherwood support. Here's hoping they have a quick recovery.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Just FYI Mike - I have been seeing the same thing with my unit. It only happens when switching to the DVR and I resolve it the same way - swap to a different video feed and then switch back. I watched the DVR when this happens and I see it pop up a "CONN" reading on the display. Not sure why it works this way either......

·
Registered
733 Posts
Is your DVR connected via component video or HDMI?
I was going to try and connect it using HDMI to see if it was having the same problem.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
It is connected via HDMI. It is intermittent so I am assuming it has something to do with a HDMI handshake issue and the fact that the DVR is always on. Perhaps I should try turning off the DVR and turning it on only when I am planning to watch cable to see if I see the same issue. I will give that a go as soon as I can and post back......

·
Registered
733 Posts
My DVR is connected using component video so I do not think it is a HDMI problem but something inside the receiver is having an issue when the video signal gets interrupted when switching from a recorded show back to live TV.
I was thinking it was because I was using component video and the receiver was "transferring" it to HDMI to output to the TV but it sounds like you are having the same problem as me with HDMI.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
An easy fix for this is to run the HDMI from the DVR to the TV and and optical cable for the audio to the receiver.

·
Registered
733 Posts
That would be a work around but I do like the video scaling that the R972 does for the DVR, looks much better than letting the TV do it.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Very true. I dont like having to have my receiver on just to watch TV.

·
Registered
733 Posts
For me, I don't ever use the speakers that are built into the TV and most shows use 5.1 audio so I just have everything turn on no matter what I am watching.

161 - 180 of 947 Posts