Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

230K views 950 replies 79 participants last post by  Linkage2010 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I got my R-972 today from accessories4less (that shipped to me from Florida to Edmonton Canada in just 2 days!) and had an hour to hook it up and play with it just a little.
First impressions are is that it was probably one of the best investments I could have made :)

Out of the box this receiver is huge! the weight is about 45lbs although Ive red conflicting reports that it weighs as much as 60lbs. No matter how you look at it its a beast for size and covers the top shelf of my AV rack completely and its very tall for a receiver.
I hooked all my gear up to it and the main speakers (I plan only using this as a two channel setup) I then powered it up and it came to life without any issues (First sigh of releaf given the distance it traveled). Without even having time to do any of the settings or even running Trinnov I played my iPod and could not believe the clarity of the sound, It brought my Missions to life it seems. they were clean and like my EV sentrys downstairs sounded much more dynamic and the separation was outstanding!

Im going to spend some more time playing tomorrow but for now I am thrilled by what its done even without any room eq applied :T

To check the version of your R-972 firmware:
hold Display and Enter/Memo

To reset the R-972 to factory settings:
Once in Standby Mode, press and hold down the STANDBY & MEMO/ENTER buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds. This will reset the unit and it will turn on automatically. If the reset was successful, you should notice that the receiver powers up at 87.5 FM . If not, repeat the reset process.

Information on installing the bass boost Hex files here

See less See more
#39 ·
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 impressions

So, maybe someone can tell me what the plastic panel thats on the top left of the receiver seen in this photo is for. Its not covering a hole and its not structural.
Jack and Joe, does yours have it?

#638 ·

So, maybe someone can tell me what the plastic panel thats on the top left of the receiver seen in this photo is for. Its not covering a hole and its not structural.
Jack and Joe, does yours have it?

As far as I know, the unit failed safety certification for top-panel temperature and the extra screen was added to lower the outer temperature to pass.

Jeff

#42 ·

Nope, already looked closely. it is solid crate all the way through underneath it just like the rest of the top :dontknow:

#43 ·

Hello,
I too have that Performance Panel at the top left of the Cover. I do not think there has been a Professional Review where they have not questioned the reason for it. However, for some reason, mine does not seem as prominent. It well could be from the angle of your picture.

Also, I personally purchased the 972 to satiate my curiosity about Trinnov. I was inches away from getting one several years ago, but there were too many issues. To S/N's credit, they really did fix the major issues and the reliability has been excellent. I have followed this AVR for years and have never read of an HDMI Board Failure or other major issue. What is awesome is that thanks to these AVR's being A-Stock, the 3 Year Warranty applies.
Even better that Amazon is still selling the 972 for $1200.
Cheers,
J

#44 ·

$30,000? Where did you see that at? The Trinnov ST2-HiFi loudspeaker/room optimizer cost $6,200. What is included in the receiver is not the full version that cost $6,200... it is a valued down version.

I may have to pick up one of these just so I can do some comparisons, although with its inability to handle multiple subs like Audyssey does with XT32 and Sub HT EQ, I have a hard time believing it can do as well in the low end.

#45 ·

Hello,
All of the Professional Reviews said that the standalone Trinnov cost $13,000. Not once did I see $30,000 being mentioned. However, $13,000 was mentioned prominently. In my "I Got a New Toy" Thread, there are multiple links on the first post. It could be that the Processor price has come down...
Cheers,
JJ

#48 ·

Maybe there are different versions, but I believe the standalone unit that most end-users would purchase is the one in the Stereophile review, which is the Trinnov ST2-HiFi loudspeaker/room optimizer. It cost $6,200 as of April 2011.
Not a review but a show report.

#47 ·

Hello,
I am thinking that is a new release. It makes sense as the Sherwood/Newcastle has remained the only HT Component to offer it and it is no spring chicken, It also makes sense as the write up seems to also infer that it is a new product as well meant for the HT Market as opposed to Professional Applications.
Cheers,
JJ

#50 ·

Kal... you also mentioned the two new EQ curves offering low-frequency increases of +3dB or +6dB. Do you (or any of you that have recently purchased this receiver) know if these curves are now included or can still be acquired?

#53 ·

Kal... you also mentioned the two new EQ curves offering low-frequency increases of +3dB or +6dB. Do you (or any of you that have recently purchased this receiver) know if these curves are now included or can still be acquired?
Sorry Sonnie, it was my typo error saying $30,000 for the stand alone version of Trinnov it was supposed to say $13,000

As far as an EQ curve there are several curves that you can apply to the Trinnov:

Flat ) "Flattest response of all speakers"
audio phile 1) "adjusts the surround/centre channel speakers so that they match the characteristics of the mains"
audio phile 2) "adjusts the low frequency response of all speakers to correct the acoustics of the room"
Natural ) "adds a modest boost to frequencies below 200Hz and a slight cut above 10kHz"

#52 · (Edited)

Ok, so I think I setup REW correctly.
Here is the graph of the results.

Red is without Trinnov
Green is after running Trinnov No subwoffer

#55 · (Edited)

Kal, are these "3db" and "6db" Hex files available to the general public that you got from Jeff Hipps of Sherwood?

Edit: I sent Sherwood a request and explained my situation so I will post back once I hear something from them.

#58 ·

Kal, are these "3db" and "6db" Hex files available to the general public that you got from Jeff Hipps of Sherwood?

Edit: I sent Sherwood a request and explained my situation so I will post back once I hear something from them.
I do not know for sure but the impression I got was that they would be provided to others "as needed."

#56 ·

Tony... I would be surprised if you could actually listen to either of those response curves for very long, unless your hearing drops off about 10db at 2kHz and continues to drop by 25db or more at 5kHz on up. Something is definitely wrong somewhere.

Your sub dropping off at 30-35Hz does not look right either.

#57 ·

The sub is just a small 6.5" Yamaha so I doubt it goes much lower than that, I want to get one of those SVS SB12 NSDs but will wait till later for that as Ive spent enough LOL
As far as those readings from REW Im going to try again later this week and see whats up but I think the levels are ok below 2kHz as the CM140 isn't much good above 8kHz anyhow.

#60 ·

Setup my receiver. Everything sounds great except the bass seems a bit off. Trinnov shows my subs -6bd point at 19hz. Can I increase the gain on the sub amp without throwing off Trinnov EQ for the sub? Wondering where can I obtain those low frequency +3db/+6db files to boost the low end.

#61 ·

Setup my receiver. Everything sounds great except the bass seems a bit off. Trinnov shows my subs -6bd point at 19hz. Can I increase the gain on the sub amp without throwing off Trinnov EQ for the sub? Wondering where can I obtain those low frequency +3db/+6db files to boost the low end.
Yes, just increase the subs output level on the sub. I sent Sherwood an email so I will let you know what they say about the files once I receive a response.

#62 ·

Thanks Tony. Audyssey allows you to increase sub trim in the setup menu after calibration but specifically warns against increasing sub gain on the sub amp in order to preserve EQ therefore I was not sure if increasing the sub gain at the sub amp will throw off Trinnov EQ for the sub. Looks like Trinnov preserves the sub equalization even if you play with gain on sub amp unlike Audyssey. Hopefully you get some response re the +3db/+6db files from Sherwood.

#63 ·

Ok, Serwood got back to me and sent me the two HEX files. I will install them this evening and let everyone know the difference it makes.

#65 ·

I dont want to cause an issue with Sherwood (I kind of get the impression that they dont wont these files floating around) but I can do that if you think thats ok?

#67 ·

Its ok I can try and hopefully I dont cause trouble.

Please open the attached zip file and uncompress. Please copy all of the factory.hex files to USB drive root position. (ex. E:\factory.hex)
To update this firmware, turn ON the 972 and wait for relay click. Once you hear the relay click, change the input to USB. When NO DEVICE displayed, please insert the USB drive to the front USB slot.

Update will automatically start.

After finished, please reset the receiver by following the attached instruction.

To successfully reset, you need to start with the unit in the Standby Mode. To put
the unit in the standby mode simply press the standby button when the unit is On or unplug the
power cord from 120V AC and then plug it back in. Once in Standby Mode, press and hold
down the STANDBY & MEMO/ENTER buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds. This
will reset the unit and it will turn on automatically. If the reset was successful, you should notice
that the receiver powers up at 87.5 FM . If not, repeat the reset process

Attachments

#248 ·

Please open the attached zip file and uncompress. Please copy all of the factory.hex files to USB drive root position. (ex. E:\factory.hex)
Tony, thanks very much for the files and instructions.

If all of the bass targets are put on the flash drive, how will the 972 know which one we want?

Anything the matter with putting only the one we want on the flash drive?

#68 ·
Hello,
A few things. I went ahead and changed the title from "First Impressions" to the Official Thread as this is really what this Thread is taking shape of being. Also, I too got the Hex Files and I do not think there is any issue to posting a link for them.
Cheers,
JJ

#69 · (Edited)
Thanks Jack :T

Does anyone think changing the original (.rar) file to a (.zip) will affect the file in any way? I had to uncomperss the .rar file and then recompress it to a .zip in order to upload it here.

#74 ·
Hello,
As I do not use the Amplifiers in AVR's, I cannot give a great deal of insight about the power of them. I will say the 3008 weighs almost 20 pounds more than the 972 and is THX Ultra2 Plus Certified. With this being the case, I would give the nod to the 3008 in terms of Amplification.

As for EQ, Trinnov is truly excellent. I think it is especially good for Rooms with less than ideal Acoustics and or suboptimal Speaker Arrangements. XT32 with SubEQ HT is fantastic as well. Especially if using Dual Subwoofers.
Cheers,
JJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.