Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, all the parts are in place for the build finally, so I thought I'd start a build thread:

First up is the design.....let me know if you see any glaring mistakes or problems:

Next up, we have the free 7' piece of 5.75" PVC....nothing beats FREE!

And rounding out the "materials" portion we have the free sheets of 3 x 4 x 0.75" MDF!

Cutting starts this weekend, at the latest.

Thanks to Mike P. here, Kevin @ DIYC, and Bob @ CSS for all their help. These guys really go above and beyond for noobs like me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First major snag. Ha ha, nothing big, but could have affected everything had I started cutting. The 18" sonotube got wrecked. Its not useable so we have now switched everything to the 16".

Not terrible, but could have sucked big time!

16" sono is in my possession to start working on tonight. Probably cut at least the sono and the PVC port to size. For people who have never seen sono, even the 16" stuff is HUGE. Amazing. Not "Sonotube" brand....something called "Redi-pour". Its quite thick. 16" precise interior diameter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will be watching the build. I have something similar planned out in my head. For the flare you should be able to heat up the end and push something round into it. A bowl might work or a bowling ball. If I get time tomorrow I will try it out and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, here's the new dimensions/calculations for the 16" diameter build. Starting to cut in about 2 hours....if there's ANY glaring mistakes, can you please let me know before I cut? LOL!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be watching the build. I have something similar planned out in my head. For the flare you should be able to heat up the end and push something round into it. A bowl might work or a bowling ball. If I get time tomorrow I will try it out and let you know how it goes.
That's exactly what my plumber friend suggested. I originally planned to do an MDF "ring" on the bottom of the port (internal end), and then just a simple roundover with the router on the endcap end.....we'll see though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The calculations was just my cutting numbers, not the final sub length. So far, its just the length for the port and sonotube itself....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, Sorry I normally do everything in metric.
Those inch things confused me.
Yeah, me too. I don't know why imperial is still even used......but all the info I've gathered is in inches and ft^3......so rather than convert, I'm just going with the flow, ha ha.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just using masking tape and a jig saw to cut the sonotube and port to the appropriate lengths:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, had a grand idea for a compass to draw my circles......

Only problem is, the string winds up on itself and gets smaller and smaller.....no good!

So I built a little jig. Counter-sunk the holes so just a pencil-tip can go through....viola...any diameter I want!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The portside end caps that go IN the sonotube:

Gluing and clamping together:

Nice snug fit with the port! Not bad for free-hand with a jigsaw!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The whole port endcap assembled (dry-fit) just to see what it looks like. No sanding, no roundovers, just sitting together for the fun of it:

Its upside-down if it confuses anyone. The small bit at the top is my home-made flange that will be IN the sonotube. Should be glueing/caulking all this stuff together tonight, plus hopefully lining it with some sort of dampening material.....

1 - 20 of 103 Posts