Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
But what about the shielding? Won't that affect anything?
Do you mean shielding as in external interference on the signal, or as in physically protecting the cable? If it's the first, that doesn't apply (practically) to speaker wire in my opinion. Unless you're having your speaker wires run alongside your mains that is.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Do you mean shielding as in external interference on the signal, or as in physically protecting the cable? If it's the first, that doesn't apply (practically) to speaker wire in my opinion. Unless you're having your speaker wires run alongside your mains that is.
Cool. Got some 12/2 braided.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Dry fit of the sonotube.....looks good! Nice fit. Stays in place without any adhesive too because it wants to be flat so it pushes itself outwards.

Got all 3 pieces secured, glued, and in place:

Inside the tube.....I must say, if I ever make another sonosub over 5 feet, I'll go to a larger diameter. It was simply WAY too much hassle to try and get the middle piece in.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Here's the other side (port side). This allows for the endcaps plus an extra 5 inches of dampening material that will be thick enough to go right out to the port.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Here's the beast, thanks to Danielson from Kelowna!

And all wired up. I hope this is correct...if not, please chime in!!!!! Man it was hard to get TWO 12AWG wires through the binding post holes....

·
Registered
18 Posts
You have it wired in parallel so you have a 1ohm load there. You will need to wire it in series to be able to achieve a 4 ohm load. Lets see if I have enough post yet. Here is a link to a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Sorry I looked at the Shiva X2 that has 2ohm voice coils.

Either way you still dont have 4 ohms. You have 2 ohms the way you have it wired and you will have 8 ohms if you run them in series.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=1&I=42

To get 4ohms you will need another Shiva X and run it series/parallel :T

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=42
I am only running ONE Shiva-X and this is the diagram from the manual. I think I have it running the same way, but I might have it wrong. The manual could be wrong as well?

Manual says to connect each 8-ohm voice coil together in parallel to half the impedence. Is this wrong?
Ha ha, don't want to fire this up until I know, LOL!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
You are good to go then. You have 4 ohms with the 1 DVC 8ohm sub. Lets see some pics of the finished product.
Sweet! Thanks man!

Did a LOT of sanding today....not quite ready for painting, plus it was raining...HARD. But I did manage to start my "amp box". I have the PE HPSA 500W plate amp and I am making a little box for it. Should be kinda cool. Making binding posts and a handle for it...that way it can be portable. Hard to visualize now, but I think it should turn out kinda neat.

The inside faceplate:

Inside faceplate and outer faceplate being glued together:

Box frame being fit together:

Dry-fit of the bottom of the amp case. Hoping to stain the whole thing black walnut (mini-wax). Should look pretty sharp:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Got the first coat of stain (Black Walnut) on the case and counter-sunk the binding posts and added a handle. I dry-fit the amp just to see what it would look like. Pretty cool! Couple more coats and it'll be good to go.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
It's coming along. Is the sub almost done?
Yeah, the sub is pretty much done. Just doing the 3rd coat of paint on the endcaps, then installing and sealing the endcaps...then covering the tube. Depending on weather, I'd say 48-72 hours and it'll be DONE!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Gettin' to the end! We had some terrible weather lately, so no painting. Well we finally manage to get the port endcap painted a couple days ago and yesterday we got the driver baseplate and endcap painted. So we assembled them today. Legs screwed onto the baseplate, but glued onto the driver endcap. So driver access can be done by simply screwing the baseplate off, but leaving the legs in place:

Even though the glue won't be seen, I did wipe the excess off after the pic was taken.

All that's left is to put this into the sonotube (tonight), caulk it, and then hook it up for some testing!

41 - 60 of 103 Posts