Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Got the driver baseplate endcap on to the sonotub. Perfect fit, you can see some of the acrylic caulking (non acetic acid cure) gooping out:

I don't have any 6-foot clamps, so this was used as weight to keep the endcap in place. Also heavily caulked the outside seam.....air leaks will not be tolerated!!

Lots of dust and needs to be cleaned, but side shot of the driver and the counter-sunk binding posts:

·
Registered
511 Posts
A Quick tip for anyone reading this (since the OP has already done the gluing).

An inexpensive "reversible" clamp like this can be used to PRESS panels/parts together.

Looking at Favelle's photos, he's so close to the basement ceiling, I'd have used clamps reversed to press from the 2X12s above downward. A scissors jack from a car would also make a good PRESS type clamp, as long as you have something to wedge the project and the clamp/press with.

The weights you used Favelle should be fine, I'm just pointing out crafty solutions since lots of people will be looking at our build threads in these forums.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Ok, its done! For the most part. A few more cosmetic things need to be done but my friend can do that when it gets to his house.

Running some test tones right now. Got some major EQ to do....Sound is LOUD! Is it normal to only have the amp turned to like 3 or 4?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
How do I tell? The signal is coming straight from my sound card (3.5mm to RCA).
Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by "3 or 4". On my plate amps the gain controls are in the 12 o'clock position being feed by a receiver. Using a clock scale what is your gain set at?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Your sound card is giving the amp a fairly strong signal.
That's the part that confuses me. I thought the signal from the PC was just a signal, and the gain knob was synonomous with a "volume" knob. Was I mistaken? I figured if I was only at like 3 on the gain knob, I could have saved $175 and got the 300W amp instead?

·
Registered
511 Posts
That's the part that confuses me. I thought the signal from the PC was just a signal, and the gain knob was synonomous with a "volume" knob. Was I mistaken? I figured if I was only at like 3 on the gain knob, I could have saved $175 and got the 300W amp instead?
The extra headroom you have allows you to run the sub more effortlessly, and thus, less distortion (better sound).

You don't build a bridge to hold exactly what it needs to hold, you way overbuild it so you're never wanting.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
The extra headroom you have allows you to run the sub more effortlessly, and thus, less distortion (better sound).

You don't build a bridge to hold exactly what it needs to hold, you way overbuild it so you're never wanting.
Makes sense...but does that mean with this amp, I am being clearly held back by the driver?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
With this sub design and amp combination you're getting the most amount of performance for your budget.
Yeah, I guess we are. And we're not disappointed, not at all!! This thing is a BEAST. Watched the Tai Lung escape scene from the Kung Fu Panda Blu-ray and it felt like were were caving our chests in... But we definitely can't go above 3 on the gain dial on the amp. We get some weird popping sound (loud) and I don't know if that's the amp clipping or the driver bottoming out?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yeah, I guess we are. And we're not disappointed, not at all!! This thing is a BEAST. Watched the Tai Lung escape scene from the Kung Fu Panda Blu-ray and it felt like were were caving our chests in... But we definitely can't go above 3 on the gain dial on the amp. We get some weird popping sound (loud) and I don't know if that's the amp clipping or the driver bottoming out?
Ha! Be careful once you hear loud popping noises. That is your subwoofer telling you that you are abusing it. ;-)

In terms of your volume control, you are confusing the amount of voltage gain, required to drive the amplifier with the amount of power seen by the subwoofer.

Basically.... you need a signal of a certain voltage, to drive the amplifier stage to full power. If your source, has a very robust output voltage, and/or the amplifier has a low input sensitivity (it doesn't require much power to drive) then you may have a very limited range of adjustment on the volume knob. It doesn't mean you are using less power. The position of the knob is almost meaningless because it depends on what voltage you have driving it.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Ha! Be careful once you hear loud popping noises. That is your subwoofer telling you that you are abusing it. ;-)

In terms of your volume control, you are confusing the amount of voltage gain, required to drive the amplifier with the amount of power seen by the subwoofer.

Basically.... you need a signal of a certain voltage, to drive the amplifier stage to full power. If your source, has a very robust output voltage, and/or the amplifier has a low input sensitivity (it doesn't require much power to drive) then you may have a very limited range of adjustment on the volume knob. It doesn't mean you are using less power. The position of the knob is almost meaningless because it depends on what voltage you have driving it.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
That makes perfect sense, thanks Kevin. So how do I gain more control of the sub volume? One little turn of the dial either way has a HUGE effect, so I'd rather have it at 9 o'clock and then use the volume control on the receiver/PC. Is that a smart idea?

61 - 80 of 103 Posts