Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
You should be able to turn down the volume of the sound card, I think.
Yep..that works. So I'm going to leave the gain at 2.5 (9 o'clock) and then control the volume through the PC soundcard's software. It also allows each channel to be increased or decreased so some fine tuning will be in order!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yep..that works. So I'm going to leave the gain at 2.5 (9 o'clock) and then control the volume through the PC soundcard's software. It also allows each channel to be increased or decreased so some fine tuning will be in order!
Yea... without complicating matters, if you can control the source output, do it there so that it gives you more of a range of adjustment on the amp volume control. The other solutions are much more complicated.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Yea... without complicating matters, if you can control the source output, do it there so that it gives you more of a range of adjustment on the amp volume control. The other solutions are much more complicated.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Great, thanks.

So with the gain knob, is it best to find the point where the driver gets no information, and then just go a touch above that?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Just play with it until you find a setting that gives you a healthy range of adjustment. I wouldn't make it any more complicated than that.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Went and bought a new Scosche SPL meter to try and get some readings on the sub, but I can't get the meter to work. It just sits there at 27.3 "dbc" no matter how loud I play anything. Is the meter borked? Or am I doing something wrong with it?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
It sounds like you have the minimum hold feature engaged. Be aware there is no corerction file for that meter as far as I know. A much better unit would be on of the Radio Shack units which all have correction files.
Yeah, not readily available in Canada and I got this for $30. I am not overly interested in exact numbers as much as I'm interested in relative numbers to see how flat our response it. I have switched the Max/Min button numerous times and I can't get it to budge from 27.3 dBC.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Have you sorted out your meter problems yet?
Returned it for a new one and the new one works perfect! I only have found the following test tones: 20hz, 30hz, 40hz, 50hz, and 60hz.....I was hoping to get 10, 15, 25, 35, etc but I'm not sure where to look. My initial run with no EQing, this is what I got:

20hz = 95.5
30hz = 94.4
40hz = 89.1
50hz = 94.8
60hz = 92.3

On my plate amp, I applied a 4db "bass boost" @ 40hz with a narrow bandwidth of 0.1. These are my new values:

20hz = 95.9
30hz = 94.2
40hz = 96.1
50hz = 95.2
60hz = 94.6

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Those results look promising. Are you going to use REW down the track to get a visual representation or won't your meter plug into a pc?
No, the meter doesn't have a USB port on it...wish it did.

Where can we get some good test tones to download?

81 - 100 of 103 Posts