Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 12" Shiva-X and 15" Tempest-X are now on the DIY Cable website. Both drivers have a one way Xmax of 27mm and a Qts of 0.42. The Shiva-X has a Fs of 20.4 Hz and costs $165. The Tempest-X an Fs of 18.5 Hz and costs $175. Kevin's forum at Audio Circle says the Shiva will be ready to ship next week. I assume the same is true for the Tempest-X as he said the shipment with both subwoofers is in customs right now.

Both drivers look like a solid deal.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Wow, the new Tempest is pretty badass! I'm still pretty happy with my old one, but the new one has almost double the xmax! Mine is 16.4mm, and the new one is up to 27. that's a big increase in displacement! It looks like they've taken a big step to make it more competitive with the new breed of high excursion drivers.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Indeed, an all around good sub. I personally wish it had a slightly stronger motor, but other than that, its got everything.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I wonder how it would do as a drop-in replacement for a classic Tempest. I assume there have been a lot of significant changes and it probably wouldn't be truly optimized used in that way, but the thought of pushing almost twice as much displacement and making no other changes is pretty appealing. I suppose in the end that I wouldn't really be happy unless I knew I was wringing every bit of performance out of a driver that I could, so even if I did spring for a new driver, it wouldn't last in the old box too long.

Mike, thanks for the Canadian price details!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
These look like a great value. They do want large enclosures, but they model quite well. $175 for the 15 is cheap!

G

·
The Shiva-X is a really nice sub. Got mine for $135 which as of 2day the sale is still on. I put it in the 4.9 cu/ft enclosure recommended on the site. Awesome company to deal with. Customer service is best I have seen. My DIY HT experience is growing by about a project every 2 weeks with 5 subs built to date not including the dozen or so mobile audio projects including a 8 12" box built into pick-up bed. The Shiva-X has been my most satisfying build yet. Easy to do with great results. Highly recommend. Better yet do 2. At $135/ Shiva-X you can't afford not to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts