Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
considered purchasing new tools but decided to go with used. picked up a router and a jig saw and some bits for under $100 total. i am sure i could have purchased better, but i couldn't justify the costs of "better" when i don't plan to continuously build items. i purchased the "recession buster" kit from madisound awhile back. will be my next little project while on break from school while also finishing up the sub.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
wow 4 months ago!! i got to hear the sub initially for a couple of flicks. sounds AMAZING!!! shakes my whole house. upon completion i simply sanded a couple rough edges/joints and painted the entire sub flat black. no port noise and the 500W PE amp works flawlessly as well.

BIG box, but i just completed my expansion of the HT room this afternoon. added riser and a 3 section couch, flipped the room, and cut out a whole in the wall for the equipment. still in the process of cleaning up the little things. still need to build the equipment room. right now just sticking out of the wall.

reconnected the sub and placed between the center and left front speaker--about the only spot it will fit!! and watched meet the robinsons and jumper. no regrets on the choice of sub, design, or amp choice. considered the smaller box design on the website but the smaller amp i was considering did not offer the subsonic filter needed.

hope this helps you out. anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
i will get the pic up asap. i should note that the sub on occasion sounds like it is bottoming out??

the settings i used are as follows: freq just above ~19 Hz, Bandwith contol 1 and the level 0, and the gain at 1. LFE just a tad below 105.

just when the volume is up around 65 on my onkyo 605 does the sub appear to bottom out. i was watching quantum of solace and the best way to describe was it sounded like the sub hit something solid. i jumped up to turn the volume down quickly and played the same scene over at a volume setting of 55. no problems then, but the overall volume seemed to low. not sure if my settings on the amp are incorrect or what. i ran audyssey through the onkyo and it set the dB at +3 on the sub.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
i went on Kevin's website and see the literature for the shiva has changed since i purchased it. it now states the box would be tuned to 22Hz. could this be the issue i am having? should i turn the amp freq up to 22?

i know when i purchased the sub, all literature included and what was on the website stated an 18Hz tuning. this is what i modeled in win-isd and what mike (big pines) modeled as well. would this affect the current performance given my size of box and slotted port?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
ok here are the final pics. speakers and subs need a good dusting/wipe down. room not 100% complete, but had to fire everything up!!

***front of sub***

***front angle***

***screen wall***

***sub position***

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
what does it sound like?

good looking sub :T
like a sub!!:bigsmile: :hsd:

sounds good other than issue i listed above with the volume at 65+. need to tweak it some more to help eliminate what i believe is the sub to be bottoming out. i watched some movies and played some blues music on it and was in awe with the sound. room could use some acoustical treatment, but that is for another day....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats on a successfully finished project
Your build has caught my eye for the shiva x you used and it seems to have anot so complicated wooden enclosure.
I am in the dilemma of building a new sub for myself, but I am hesitating a lot for having no knowledge in wood working, and living far far away from the US and not having direct access to advanced drivers and eletronics where I live (Lebanon), and those items do weigh a lot which makes their shipping very expensive, any way if all goes according to plan, would probably go to the US next spring and aShiva X is on the top of my shopping list.
Just have one question though, would the shiva be as good for music?
I am still a noob in all things acoustics even though I am a music and Home Cinema amateur for years.
Learning great stuff on this forum
Great guys and I love the support and the care I see here
:T

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Hi Tony,

I can guarantee a Shiva X will do wonders for your music and HT. I have to watch anything with bass content when I am alone as the "little lady" keeps getting the remote and turning the volume down. :foottap:
I can only imagine what a Mal X can do...... :eek:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
just an update as to what the issue was with the bottoming out noise is/was. i had forgotten that i had re-ran Audyssey in my onkyo and it set the sub eq at +5 dB. this was causing the sub to go over max excursion between 24-29 Hz.

after resetting the audyssey sub eq setting to zero, the sub performs flawlessly! i can crank the onkyo up to 75---too loud for my taste, but had to see where i could take it! there is a slight noise with the lowest booms but i believe that is the plate amp running out of juice and clipping. no worries at the comfortable level of 65 on the onkyo. the shiva rocks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
just an update as to what the issue was with the bottoming out noise is/was. i had forgotten that i had re-ran Audyssey in my onkyo and it set the sub eq at +5 dB. this was causing the sub to go over max excursion between 24-29 Hz.

after resetting the audyssey sub eq setting to zero, the sub performs flawlessly! i can crank the onkyo up to 75---too loud for my taste, but had to see where i could take it! there is a slight noise with the lowest booms but i believe that is the plate amp running out of juice and clipping. no worries at the comfortable level of 65 on the onkyo. the shiva rocks!
That sounds promising. I wonder why Audyssey is setting the sub so loud? What kind of amp did you end up using? I'll have to take a look in prior posts. It could be the amp clipping has been the culprit all along.

Mike

Edit: I see you used the Parts Express 500 watt amp.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great job on that sub, mlkmgr. I just ordered Gen1 Shiva for my future end-table sub and was wondering if there's any way I can get my hands on that Google sketch file? I'll need to play with dimensions to make it fit the size requirement for the table (leaving the overall volume the same of course), but I think I just found my design :D. There are a couple of questions I have though.

1. Simulation in WinISD shows that with this port size the air speed can be as high as 30 m/s. Do you hear any noise when playing at high levels?

2. Did you account for the size of the subwoofer and the amplifier when calculating the gross volume?

Overall, a job well done :T. Can't wait to start on mine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
i will dig the file out. i hope it is still here somewhere. had a hard drive crash and can't recall if i was able to save that file. give me a day or so. if not, i can whip one up pretty quick as i still have the hand sketches i did with dimensions.

answers to your questions:

1. no port noise at any volume. i even sat close the other day when playing through war of the worlds to see if i could hear anything at high volume. good to go!

2. Accounted for sub and amp when making over-all internal calculations. the sub volume was given on the manual/product sheet that accompanies the sub and the amp i simply took the 10X10X5 dimension that houses the electronics inside the box and subtracted from overall internal volume.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks, I've got the file. Seems like the box is a bit bigger than I was hoping for :doh: What's your calculated net volume for the sub? Maybe I can get away with a bit smaller box. Stuffing should be able to get me 10% extra volume, right?

81 - 100 of 105 Posts