Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shiva-X 12" in a sonosub design. I have a 14" piece of tube and a 16" piece of tube. I can use either. The 14" is 6 feet long and the 16" is 5.5 feet long. I can cut and do whatever I want with either. BASH500 plate amp will drive it, port diameter can be 3", 4" or preferrably 6" because I have a 10-foot length of 6" already!

Any thoughts? I am thinking 150L, tuned to 19hz, 4" port @ 15" long....

Too big for this driver? Too small? If I model it smaller in WinISD, I lose a ton of output at 15-25hz..is this correct?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I use a Shiva-X in 180L with dual 4" ports. My sub is tuned to 22 Hz, but with room gain it is around 18Hz. It is a nice clean sounding sub.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You found the mixing of 2 different subs ok?
I use more than two subs. I have six subs, but two of them I have with my mains as bass bins. The multiple subs allow me to use a higher crossover point, which gives my small speakers more headroom. My room sounds pretty good. I have bass traps in the corners, sound panels on the front wall behind the AT screen and sound panels on the back wall. I also have panels at the side wall reflection points. I don't think I will ever go back to a single sub.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use more than two subs. I have six subs, but two of them I have with my mains as bass bins. The multiple subs allow me to use a higher crossover point, which gives my small speakers more headroom. My room sounds pretty good. I have bass traps in the corners, sound panels on the front wall behind the AT screen and sound panels on the back wall. I also have panels at the side wall reflection points. I don't think I will ever go back to a single sub.
Nice man! I want to go with a 6" port on my Shiva, but I only have 16" sonotube. I always understood that you needed the diamter of the port clearance on all sides.....even for 2 4" ports I'd need a 20" sonotube.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New developments! Couple friends have chipped in for my buddy and I now have access to a 7' section of 16" sonotube and an 8' section of 18" sonotube!!

My buddy is leaning towards the BASH300W because of the cost, so what is the OPTIMUM volume and port size for the driver for low-end output? 180L with a 4" port, 17" long? Or can I do better?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bob at Creative Sound in Abbotsford was kind enough to give us a deal on a HPSA 500W plate amp!! So we have the amp, 540 watts, a 70" tube of 5.75" PVC for the port, and a 7' length of 18" sonotube!!

What's our optimum tune? 18hz? 19hz? 20hz? We are game for anything from 180L to 240L. Just looking for the most bang for the buck from this configuration......

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
200 liters tuned to 18 hz looks good. The amp has a 3rd order HPF at 18 hz.

favelle shiva.JPG

Here are the dimensions you would need for a 18" diameter sonotube. I'm assuming the 5.75" port is internal dimensions. Disregard the driver information at the bottom right hand side. That is just a sub in the programs database.

fav sonotube.JPG

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
200 liters tuned to 18 hz looks good. The amp has a 3rd order HPF at 18 hz.

View attachment 16893

Here are the dimensions you would need for a 18" diameter sonotube. I'm assuming the 5.75" port is internal dimensions. Disregard the driver information at the bottom right hand side. That is just a sub in the programs database.

View attachment 16894
Thanks Mike! As usual, you go above and beyond. You, Bob @ CSS, and Kevin at DIYC have been crazy helpful. This build for my pal is only possible because of you guys.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, the 5.75" is internal on the PVC port. I am going to tweak it a bit by going with endcaps that are 3 MDF panels deep...but other than that, everyone will look the same. I hope to build an "amp box" for his plate amp and then we can mount it near his couch. Binding posts on it as well so he can just plug into the sub and turn it on and off from the couch!

Thanks man.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts