Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to get a better subwoofer for my room. I have a Insignia 600 watt Receiver, and front and surround speakers. The fronts and others are pretty cheap, but they are actually really clear and have taken quite the abuse. I also have a Yamaha 10" YST-SW216 100 watt sub and I'm not pleased with the performance of it. It is alright, but tends to bottom-out quite a bit when listening to demanding songs. My room is 13x13. I listen to mostly rock, but some Kottonmouth Kings, and a every once in a while, I watch a movie. I would really like the sub to pick up the lows in the song Down 4 Tha Krown by Kottonmouth Kings.

My max budget is $425, but I would like to keep it below $400, if possible. I was thinking about getting the CSS Kit found here for a HT application:
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=QUARTET10
But, I can't decide if I should get the Shiva-x with the Dayton SA 240 watt amp or the CSS Kit. :mooooh:
Or, is there something better than those that I talked about just above here?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The Shiva + BASH 500W is going to be about $450 so your over-budget. I'd just get Bob's little package if that is your budget. It should be a much smaller enclosure too.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Shiva + BASH 500W is going to be about $450 so your over-budget. I'd just get Bob's little package if that is your budget. It should be a much smaller enclosure too.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
If I could afford the Shiva-x with the BASH 500w amp, would that be a better choice?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If I could afford the Shiva-x with the BASH 500w amp, would that be a better choice?

Thanks
In a ported form, it would kill any 10" sub. It kills most 12" subs, certainly ones close to it's cost. You gain a good 50% cone area moving from a 10" to a 12" driver and the Shiva has more stroke, your adding 200W also so that is really no surprise. The trade-off is size and cost.

Your going to be overbudget especially once you figure the cost of building the enclosure.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
In a ported form, it would kill any 10" sub. It kills most 12" subs, certainly ones close to it's cost. You gain a good 50% cone area moving from a 10" to a 12" driver and the Shiva has more stroke, your adding 200W also so that is really no surprise. The trade-off is size and cost.

Your going to be overbudget especially once you figure the cost of building the enclosure.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Which would provide the hardest hitting bass, while maintaning very good lows, the Shiva-x, or the CSS Kit with two PR's? Which kind of box would be better for that? Sealed or Ported?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Which would provide the hardest hitting bass, while maintaning very good lows? Sealed or Ported?

Thanks
I guess it depends on how you define "hardest hitting". That is a subjective term and I prefer to stick with measured objective quantities. The subjective stuff depends on a lot more than just the sub. It depends on your equalization, room, set-up, box, design etc... Hard-hitting is a term I hear in car audio a lot and it mainly refers to upper bass output, probably around 50-80Hz. Many car audio systems intentionally have a hump in the response in that range so they may feel "harder hitting" but it isn't necessarily a good thing. I tend not to design systems that way aiming more for a flat in-room response or perhaps a little bit juiced first octave.

For home theater, the ported version will give you much more output mainly down around port tuning. Depending on how you decide to build it that can mean double the output @ 20Hz. That is a substantial difference.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess it depends on how you define "hardest hitting". That is a subjective term and I prefer to stick with measured objective quantities. The subjective stuff depends on a lot more than just the sub. It depends on your equalization, room, set-up, box, design etc... Hard-hitting is a term I hear in car audio a lot and it mainly refers to upper bass output, probably around 50-80Hz. Many car audio systems intentionally have a hump in the response in that range so they may feel "harder hitting" but it isn't necessarily a good thing. I tend not to design systems that way aiming more for a flat in-room response or perhaps a little bit juiced first octave.

For home theater, the ported version will give you much more output mainly down around port tuning. Depending on how you decide to build it that can mean double the output @ 20Hz. That is a substantial difference.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Ok, but for like Rock, it will still hit hard as in you can feel it and hear it right? And, which would provide the better capabilities of lows, the Shiva-x, or the CSS Kit with two PR's? Now, I'm new to subs somewhat, and I assume that you can't have a ported box with 2 PR's right?

Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
I can't see how the CSS kit would sound better than the Shiva. The shiva is a KILLER! The downpart is that it requires a relatively big enclosure. But that's just physics...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. I've never dealt with CSS before but Kevin was amazing and instrumental to my Mal-X build. He answered all questions and then some extremely promptly.

Something to think about.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In keeping with your budget and considering your room size, the CSS kit would fit your needs. The ability to easily adjust the tuning to your liking for "Rock" listening is a plus.
Ok, I think I will go with the CSS now. But, before I do, I have a couple more questions. For Rock and some movies, would the CSS Kit sound better than the Shiva-x with the Dayton SA240 watt amp? The reason I ask this, is it would be a little bit cheaper, and possibly sounding better.

Thanks for all of the help

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 340 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.