Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I waited until it the project was finished before posting. Really only because of convenience and I kept the camera in the garage. This was my first sub build but not my first speaker build.

Info: Exodus Shiva-X. Approximately 3 cu/ft. O-audio Bash 500. Approx. 4 lbs of poly-fill. Basically modeled from Kevin's medium sealed build specs.

Pictures and comments to follow.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some photos and notes from my project. 1" MDF cut to rough dimensions. I chose the method of having one clean edge against the baffle and everything cut oversize to be flushed trimmed later on. This provides a very clean finished look.

I also decided to let in the brace into the sides, top and bottom with dado cuts for added stability and to ensure a square fit.

Outside dimensions are 18"w x 22" high x 22" deep.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Testing my home made circle jig for cutting the baffle holes. I chose a double baffle for stability and to set the driver back into the box. I rounded over the inside of the baffle and waited until the veneer was applied before rounding over the outside of the baffle.

Testing the baffle cut out for fit.

Cutting the port holes for the internal brace. These were rounded over. I like the 1/4" spiral cutting bit on the router because it generates a lot less dust than 1/2" straight bit.

Completed internal brace. The brace and back were cut 1/4" wider and taller than the inside baffle so they could be let into the 1/8" dado grooves on the sides, top and bottom.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WHOOPS! Knuckle head mistake. I cut the dado grooves all the way across on all 4 boards. This leaves 1/8" opening on the top and bottom. This was quickly apparent on dry fit.

Change of plans. I recut the top and bottom pieces and re-arranged the overlap scheme to solve the issue. the brace and back are recut so that they are now let in on the sides only.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dry fitting and getting ready for glue-up. Again, clean edges against the baffle. Sides, top and bottom are cut over-sized and will be trimmed down later.

The dado's help considerably with keeping the brace and back square. They made glue-up easier as well.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually put the box back on the table saw before flush trimming to give my flush trim bit a break. The box is very heavy but this worked out surprisingly well.

I Got the edges down to an 1/8" or less and flush trimmed on the router table using the guide bearing.

Note the clean lines after flush trimming. This approach makes cleaning up squeeze out a breeze as well.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Looks fantastic, Are you going to post some FR graphs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This was my first attempt at veneering. I chose a paper backed ribbon mahogany and cut it down from a 4 x 8 rolled sheet.

I tested a couple of different methods including contact cement. What I found to work best was the technique of applying PVA glue to both services, letting them dry and using an iron to heat the surfaces together. I laid a board and some heavy items on top after ironing to apply a little clamping pressure.

It took awhile to get proficient at keeping the glue off the face. I glue the whole box before applying any sides.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Applying one side of veneer at a time. Primitive clamping effort but seems to be working. I used a laminate router with a flush trim bit to clean up each side. I went out and bought one and feel that it was a good investment.

All sides are on. Note the round over on the front baffle.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went with a natural polyurethane finish. I had some Epiphanes rubbed effect varnish left over from my boat refinishing effort. Looks really nice when you rub it on with a rag which is what I did. 7 coats I think. Less on the bottom.

Spiked feet are on.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Making the grill. Not ecstatic with the results, but it looks OK. I'm sure there is a better way.

Grill guides are in and pre-drilling the wholes for the driver and amp. Last item before final assembly is the Acousta-stuff polyfill.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is the finished product. The grill is a little bulky, but no worries about the cone hitting it. I'm very happy with the look and finish. This was my first sub and now I've really got the bug.

It sounds great. Really tight with music and surprisingly good pressure levels for HT. I will be taking REW measurements and posting FR shortly.

Thank you to Kevin for answering all of my questions. I'm thinking about a Tempest-X2 sono if the wife allows.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
Looks fantastic. Great work mate.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top