Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started to build my sub today, a simple 4cf sealed enclosure. I am useing the Shiva X as the driver and will power it with the EP-2500. It is not complicated but I will post some pics later.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Question, I see alot of enclosures with a brace in the center with one and sometimes many holes. Is this pretty much just for structure strength or does it help with sub performance?

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
The brace helps to stiffen the box to keep it form resonating and making unwanted contributions to the output. Cutting holes keeps the brace from taking up more airspace than necessary.

Looking forward to your progress :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
What type of material are you building you box out of and What thickness are you going to use ??, if you use 1.5" 2" thick MDF you wont need as much bracing....

If you go with A large center brace in the middel of your box just route out one big hole
like you do for the front Baffel Just slightly larger....

Hope this helps Cheers......

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guy's, I didn't even think that the holes would be to lessen the take up of volume in the box but I guess it is obvious. I am useing 3/4 mdf so the brace will be essential for the reasons you guy's give. I will probably just go with the larger holed brace. I will take some pics, even though I am sure you guy's have seen this type of box a thousand times, and will post them later. I still don't know how I am going to do the finish but I will get to that later. Thanks again.........

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK, I finished just about the whole build on my 4cf enclosure and all that is left is to put on the front faceplate so when the sub is mounted it will be flush. First I cut 4 pieces of 3/4 mdf to 21''x 21'' and put them together useing carpenters glue and 2'' drywall screws. I used my dremel to drill all screwholes to avoid wood splitting.

Then I cut the piece for the center brace at 21''w x 19.5''h and mounted it in the center of the enclosure. I cut 5 holes in the brace, 1 at 13'' round with my jigsaw and 4 at 2 1/4 useing my drill and a hole saw bit.

Then after I let the box sit overnite for the glue to set up I sealed the inside seams with silicone caulk.

Then I cut a piece of birch, that I am useing for the front faceplate and back piece, to 21''w x 22.5h and mounted the back useing the same method of glue and drywall screws.

Then I cut to pieces of mdf to 21''w x 19.5h for the sub mount and glued them together with plenty of glue and then used 4 1'' sheet metal screws to connect them together. Jake and Elwood stood guard while they set up...:bigsmile:

I cut the mounting hole to the specified size of 11 1/8'' for when it is time to mount the sub and attached it to the enclosure.

I know, I know I am not the neatest when it comes to glueing but it will be cleaned up in the end.:yes:

I cut the faceplate at 21''w x 22.5h and cut out a 12.5'' hole with my jigsaw. This will, after mounted,make the sub flush with the enclosure. I haven't decided if I will make a grill or sometype of cover yet.:scratchhead:

I covered all the screwholes with wood putty and will start sanding tommorrow. Well for my first build it doesn't seem to be going badly at all but there is still alot of sanding and then I will decide on the finish. I will post more pics when I get further.........:yay:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow,not one opinion?????? I put down some bondo today on one side and quickly found out that my sander just doesn't cut it. I need a more powerfull one or it will take me forever. Any tips would be great.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am useing a sheet sander and it just bogs down with just a kittle pressure so I am going to Home depot tommorrow to pick up a belt sander. I could use the one I have but like I said it would take forever. I will post more pics as I get more of the sanding done.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know what you mean. I am not set on a belt sander and if the guy at Home depot has a better idea I may go with that. It is my first time ever useing bondo so I might be putting it on too thick and that could be why there seems to be alot of sanding. I am going to do a little searching around the net tommorrow to see if I can get some info on this method. Thanks for the database, I hope it is usefull to someone.........:yes:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you're lucky to have a belt sander. I use just a regular orbital sander and man.. that can take forever. Looking good so far :T
Well I decided not to go with the belt sander.It just so happens that the guy at home depot used to work at an auto body shop and he set me up with a nice Millwaukee orbital sander and some 60 grit paper and it is so easy to sand this now that I am having a much more enjoyable time doing this. It is messy with the dust but I am wearing a mask and will worry about clean up later. I took sme pics of the process and will post them later.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yea... that belt sander will bite right into it. They are great for removing material fast but suck for a good finish. There is no shortcuts when it comes to a painted finish. The orbital sander is your friend but take your time and get used to the idea that prep is 90% of the job.

Looking good.... soldier on!

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
www.diycable.com

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Kevin. I took a couple of pics today of the progress. I should be able to finish sanding in a couple of days and then prime it up. I still haven't decided on color yet but I am leaning towards black since it would go with the rest of the room better. The first pic is blurry but I don't know why????

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will do the whole enclosure just so it is the same. I probably don't have to do the bottom but I will anyway. It is alot of sanding but it really is going faster than I thought with the new sander.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guy's, I am all finished with the initial sanding and will need to do some finish sanding next. I have a question about rounding the edges. I don't have a router so is there a hand tool besides a piece of sandpaper that can do that?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts