Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 14 of 38 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished my shiva-x in a 6.3cu ported enclosure with the 2 4" ports.. This thing is amazing, but only at the real low notes. At the "regular" bass its not good at all.. I am so dissappionted because i thought the shiva would take care of the normal bass and get the real low notes. So much money for just the low end, now idk what to do. Help?

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nvm. Found the recievers settings: or how to change them all. It allows me to change the distance of all the speakers from the seating position. In ft. It does not allow this for the subwoofer.

It also allows me to change the Db of all the speakers in 1db steps, from -10 to +10.

There are no settings for small or large like i've seen mentioned.

And idk if this matters but i saw this in the manual also "This receiver employs a test tone with a frequency centered at 800 hz. This reciever does not auto calibrate the subwoofer.

So can i use this reciever? Idk where to go from here. Thanks guys.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will try everything. I think its just a matter of the settings on the reciever and the plate amp. I know my reciever sucks and i need a new one. I just can't afford one right now.

To mike p:

I am using a STR-K900 Sony Reciever, its real hard to find on the web because its out of a Sony HTIB. Also, when you say low pass filter on the amp what are you reffering to?

Sorry i'm such a noob. Thanks for all your help.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kevin:

I was supposed to put in a 20k ohm and a 75 k ohm to get 1db boost in the 25-30hz range.

I put a 22k in where the 20 is supposed to be, could this be my problem? Would that throw it off that bad? Please lemme know. Thanks!

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I couldn't find 20k at radio shack. :( I had to drive to frys to get the 75k. 45 minutes away. But if thats whats causing it then i'll definately do it. Idk what else it could be.. Theres a guy at avs that helped me build the box, he has the same one. He's gotten it up to 112db at 20hz and it didn't bottom out for him. Thats with 500w and no hp filter.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This was posted for me in the avs forums:

Your internal volume is 6.35 cuft, so when you subtract for the displaced volume of the ports,driver and amp, your final volume is about 6cuft. For two 4" ports at 17 inches long, your tune is almost 24hz.....and that's the problem. Plug up one port and you're tune will be 17hz. See if that takes care of the problem. Make sure you plug it completely. Stuff in a rolled up pair of socks and then tape a piece of cardboard over the front. You'll have a lot of port noise from the air speed, but at least the bottoming should stop.

Is this true? Do i have to build another box to the right frequency?

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The sound drops off db wise when the tone isn't super low. Example, if you know the song i put on by young jeezy, there is 4 bass tones. The shiva really hits on the 4th, but the first 3 aren't very hard hitting. Some of the bass notes, like the ones in Paper planes by MIA make the sub sound like a snare drum, not like it should sound. By upper base i actually just meant everything except the real lows. I use mac's... unfortunately. I don't have an spl meter. :(

2) Not sure if the reciever does have bass management, it has setting to change the db's of the sub. I have the phase switch off.. auto on on.. the other switch set to crossover.. the freq knob is set all the way up. And the volume set to whatever will make it not bottom out.

3) My main speakers are, for front and left.. Polk S10 Towers, and for the Center a Polk Csi3. The surround are in walls from monoprice.com. I plan on getting a new reciever in the next couple months for i can get the sub to work with it for now.

The people over at avs think it is the freq of the box.. here is my thread over there:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1129932&page=4

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The main issue isn't the upper bass. Its the bottoming out the driver is doing when i turn the gain on the bash past two at normal listening volumes. People have been posting that i shouldn't have the shiva bottoming out with the little of power.. and it is.. i have tried it with no ports plugged, one, and both plugged... Idk what to do.

1 - 14 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.